Tuesday, July 22, 2008

In My Heart

Unfortunately, many people cannot truly discern what is in our hearts. We may think of ourselves as being caring and genuine in our concern for others, but others may see us as quite the opposite.

Yes we know that God knows what is in our hearts, but let’s be honest, is that enough? For most of us, we not only want God to know the depths of our sincere affection, we also want those we interact with to recognize the love we possess. When we are able to step outside of our false notions of piety, we admit that it does matter what others think of us, particularly when what they think of us does not match our self-impressions.

I have no answers to the questions of how to make someone see more clearly the contents of your heart. All I can do is encourage you to share those contents more, not less when you are confronted with those who doubt your sincere intentions. Even though it can get tiring to have to swim against the tide of false perceptions, trust God to give you the strength to keep doing what you do. When every muscle in your spiritual body is straining against the weight of unfair judgments, love people more.

Lord, I want to love you. In my heart. In my heart. But I also want people to know that I love you and I love them in my heart. Help me to “prove” my love by the simple act of sharing it even when it is misconstrued as something else. Help me to stay the course you have set for me to love you with all my being and love others as I should love myself.

No comments: