Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Reading Minds

In our interactions with others that potentially could blossom into a romance; there seems to be more questions than answers. Does he like me? Is she just being polite or does she have feelings for me? Am I the kind of person he is looking for? Do I match up well with the items on her wish list? Making this period of questions even more frustrating is the inability or refusal of the other person to provide straight answers.

It has been said that there is a dance ritual before the dating starts. I can’t reveal too much about how I am feeling and you play your emotional cards close to your chest. We often are left with reading signs and deciphering clues. She called me, so she must like me, right? He took me out to the movies, so he wants to date me, right? To be fair, we assume the other person can correctly decipher our clues. I picked up the phone when you called, so I must like you. You said yes when I asked you out, so OBVIOUSLY I must like you.

What is it about us that we can’t just say what we mean? I like you. Now tell me if you like me. No guessing, no games, no mysteries. Either we are going to move forward in the direction of romance or we are not. Let’s not be coy here. If we are not going to be together; then it is best we move on before one of us gets our heart broken or our feelings hurt.

Besides, what is obvious to you may not be the same for me. Or what I think you should clearly see concerning my feelings for you may not be so plain to you. As hurt as I may be if you were to plainly say that you are not into me; I would appreciate your honesty and the opportunity for me to move on. It is unfair for me to keep stringing you along if I am not really interested in starting a relationship with you. At some point, we know how we feel, so why do we make people read our minds?

If we insist on being elusive and mysterious; then somehow the Holy Spirit will need to step in and bless us with the gift of discernment. Sometimes we will just have that feeling that the person we are attracted to is not a good match for us. We may not be able to put our finger on it, but we trust God enough to help us protect our hearts. If we trust God, we no longer have to resort to the imperfect science of reading minds!

For each one of you that wants to find true love, I pray that God will help you to successfully navigate the pathway to blissful romance. Resist the temptation to push away the Spirit when it comes to finding your soul mate. Without the Spirit whispering truth and guidance in your ears; all you will be left with is trying once again to read someone else’s minds. I don’t know about you; but I’d rather put my faith in the wisdom of the Holy Spirit than on my fallible senses.

No comments: