Thursday, May 29, 2008

An Abundant Life?

At a meeting tonight, I had the opportunity to take a life balance wheel test that measures a person's view of his or her life based on 8 factors: Spiritual life, marriage and family, vision for the future, social life, hobbies, physical condition and emotional/intellectual development. Based on answers I provided to questions under each of the above categories; I actually measured well on spiritual life, emotional/intellectual development, hobbies and vision for the future. However, I scored poorly on marriage and family and social life. Upon reflection, I am not surprised at my high and low scores.

In general, the areas I scored high were areas where the values/activity being examined were more of an intrinsic nature. My spirituality, my vision for my future, my hobbies and my emotional/intellectual development are all areas where I exercise a great measure of control. For example, being a writer is something I do in solitude.

But here is the main focus of this post. For me, I have a very noticeable imbalance when it comes to my social and family life. When Christ talked about an abundant life, I am sure He included not only one's spirituality, emotional development and hobbies. Surely He must have factored in one's relationships with family members, friends and associates. As a Christian single, I must examine why I am experiencing a disproportionate level of success in the "intrinsic" areas of my life and not with the "extrinsic" areas.

In short, why are my relationships not as "good" as my internal traits? Part of being a Christian is being able to be honest with oneself and accept responsibility for the way things are going in my life. With the Holy Spirit's guidance, I should be able to become more like what God has envisioned for me to become. You may ask, "What does God have to do with a person's relationship with family, friends and associates?" I believe He wants us to have fulfilling lives and our social lives are a major contributor to that. Thankfully, He not only wants that, but He provides guidance on how we can achieve a fulfilled life.

So Lord, thank you for allowing me grow closer to you and for the talents and abilities you have allowed me to acquire. I thank you for your keeping power that kept me from falling off the deep end emotionally and intellectually. Now Lord, help me to grow in the realization of a healthy and productive social life.

As I pray this prayer for me, I also pray that you will allow God to strengthen you where you are weak and build you up where you are torn down. Let's all remain open to the great things God is trying to teach us.

No comments: