Saturday, October 07, 2006

Just Watch The Dog, Man!

The other day, a friend of mine asked me to babysit her dog for a few days while she attended an out of town conference. Now anyone that really knows me should realize that me and pets don't mix. This benign hostility I hold toward pets is strange given the fact that as a child growing up in New Jersey, we always had several dogs (all outside) that were part of our family. In fact, for some strange reason, my father appointed me as the official provider of food and water for the dogs. So, it would seem that I would LOVE pets, but that is not the case.

Anyway, my reluctance to care for her dog also highlights some lessons to learn about friendship.
  • We cannot always pick HOW we are going to be a friend, sometimes we have to step out of our comfort zone to help someone in need.
  • Friendship is not about convenience. In fact, inconvenience is a test of how committed you are to being a friend.
  • Friendships should not be based on our first impulse. For me, when I was asked to babysit her dog, my first impulse was "No Way!".
  • Following the example set by God, we should not only love each other, but we should be willing to go out of our way to demonstrate our love. Trust me, babysitting that "thing" that goes by the name of Miles is REALLY going out of my way!
  • Being a true friend also means being willing to ask for help. I do not know how many people my friend asked to babysit Miles before or after she approached me, but I like to think that one reason she asked me is because she considers me her friend. When we are in need, being a friend means to trust our friends enough to ask for their help

So many lessons from being asked to watch a dog for a couple of days! Wanna guess what I decided to do?

1 comment:

Sistah Sankofa said...

Kevin - you brave soul.
I can't thank you enough for handling the ferocious beast.. the human slayer.. the wild animal.. the mad dog Miles for me. Your pet sitting (all 9 pounds of him) was a huge act - and I mean that seriously.

What I thought was a simple request (because Miles IS an invisible dog if there ever was one), must have seemed a huge demand for some as was apparent by the numerous declines I received from both family and friends.

Your commentary on friendship is exactly what I was contemplating as I faced the possibility of Miles somehow rooming with me in the conference hotel for 3 days. As the clock ticked down to the last few hours, I had a conversation with a friend regarding my surprise and disappointment, not just about the response I'd received from those closest for support with this immediate need, but disappointment as I reflected on the larger reality of how unwilling we've grown to go out of our way for others. I see minimal volunteerism and so many 'fair-weather' actions, that it really does trouble me. I was no longer concerned with whether the dog went with me or not, but was now on to thinking about the plight of a people functioning far too often in their individualistic comfort zones and not teaching the value of sacrifice to the next generation.

And then you answered the call.

Thanks for restoring my belief and hope - thanks for understanding the true meaning of the word friendship.

Miles thanks you too and looks forward to his next sleep over!

By the way, this is my first visit ever to this Blog thing - kinda cool. Perhaps folks will at least use it to make the connections you were concerned with in your earlier entry on technology.

Peace & Love.
Sistah Sankofa