Friday, December 29, 2006

Stuck Like Chuck

On Christmas day, I had the privilege of serving meals to the homeless at the Salvation Army. It was a good experience and one that I think everyone should participate in. The experience was all the more interesting to me because I was employed there as the Assistant Director of Financial Development about five years ago. In that capacity, I was able to meet many of the residents at that time and I have heard many of their stories that led them to their homeless condition.

While serving on Christmas day, I met one person who was a resident of the Salvation Army while I was employed there. Seeing him there that day led me to think that some things never change. But, before I could go too far in pitying him, I also thought about me. How much has changed for me in the past 5 years?



  • The amount in my savings account is about the same as it was 5 years ago.
  • I am still one or two paychecks away from needing the services of the Salvation Army as I was 5 years ago.
  • I did not have a girlfriend then and I don’t have one now.
  • I have about the same amount of friends as I did 5 years ago.
  • And the list goes on….

How about you? How many of you are stuck like chuck in your singleness?

  • Do you still hold on to the same views of your singleness that you had 5 years ago?
  • Are you still as scared of intimacy as you were then?
  • Are you still as confused by the actions of the members of the opposite sex as you were in the past?
  • Do you still have trouble finding true love as you did 5 years ago?
  • Are you still as driven by your fears and your ego as you were in the past?
  • And the list goes on….

Most of us singles can look back on our lives and see that we have not really changed all that much. The number one reason why we have not changed is because of our fears. God has given us the capacity to grow, but many of us are afraid of the process of change. What will we have to let go? What will we have to give up? What demons will we have to face? Often by default, we choose to hold on to what is familiar even though we know that will keep us stuck like chuck.

How crazy is that?

In the upcoming year, let’s resolve to get “unstuck” and leave ole Chuck behind. God is calling us to be more, be better and be different. With His guidance, what is it that we are afraid of?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kevin Morgan said...

This is an edited comments from a reader. Items of a personal nature were deleted to protect the identity of the person making the comment. (KEVIN)

"You certainly are quite open and honest. Yes I am stuck in many of those areas but only a few concern me a bit and that is "I lost a very close friend to cancer" and I have never been married. I just want to be content and thankful in all situations. Perhaps these are the cards I have been dealt so I need to learn to play them. I don't have my very favorite person and special friend to celebrate 2007 with and the question is will I ever have a person who was so easy to love and trust. I need to pray for contentment right where I am...yes now I would like to resolve to get unstuck when it comes to the money in my bank account and change my job and get a career. I realize God is calling us to be more, be better and be different and I wish I knew what was keeping me from doing all the things."
M