Monday, August 06, 2007

A Child Of God

Yesterday, I left off with the surprising fact that the source of my unwanted advance was a male. It perhaps will be anti-climatic to say that I did not over-react or “show out”. Rather, I dealt with that situation in the same way that I try to deal with whatever comes my way.

In our interactions with each other, we should behave like children of God. At times, that is easier said than done, but it still is an expectation our Heavenly Father has of us. When people do things to us that we do not like or that make us feel uncomfortable or that seem to be way out of place; we must remember that they are a child of God.

For the male who made the unwanted advances toward me; the thought that God created him just like He created you and I came to mind. The need to affirm this person’s divinely imputed persona is not because he is gay. Rather, we should view someone as being a creation of God because it presents opportunities to see the hand of God in every situation, whether good or bad.

Often, people tend to react almost violently when a person of the same sex approaches them. But why is that so? Do we throw out our spirituality simply because someone is gay? Perhaps we should stay focused on their divinely ordained humanity instead of their sexual orientation. We should treat the gay person who approaches us in the same manner we treat a heterosexual person who tries to get close to us. Why? Because in both instances, both are children of God.

As we affirm others as being creations of God, we also need to recognize the same about ourselves. There are things that children of God should not do! We need to act like God is our Heavenly Father. Foremost, our actions should be guided by love and not by ego. Our ego opens the door for us to feel hurt. Our ego leads us down the path of "tit for tat" behavior. Our ego will make us “lay our religion down”. But, God’s love in us should help us to do the opposite. God’s love in us should help us to treat others as fellow children of God.

So sorry; no drama here. A gay man made unwanted advances to me and I continued to view him as being one of God’s own. No big deal! Whatever your thoughts about whether or not homosexuality is wrong; please do not lose sight that they are creations of God, just like you and I. No need to shout or twist my neck and go off. In that instance, I saw an opportunity to put the love of God in action.

Isn’t God good how He allows us to use the love He has given us in our dealings with each other? Thank God we are all CHILDREN OF GOD! With that realization, we reduce the chance of seeing things out of context. But more about that tomorrow.

Tomorrow’s Post - In Context

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin,

I did not expect any other behavior from you; it never crossed my mind that you would do anything less than handled this situation as an opportunity for “God to show up and show out”. Of course, I don’t know you personally but I hear your confession; therefore you have a responsibility to always seek to do the right thing. I am very proud that you did not take it to the extreme, again another confirmation you are not just an ordinary man; you are quite a special creation (psalm 139) and you should never be surprised when someone finds you attractive male or female.

The truth is, only since I have been saved have I learn to be humble and never find it insulting when anyone finds me attractive male or female. I try very hard not to discount or judge people…I have a hard enough time keeping my right standing with God…

On another note, love is all we have to freely give …so as Children of God let’s keep looking for those opportunities.

Anonymous said...

There can be no drama when you deal with "children of God".
I never looked at it that way.
I always try to remember that
whatever preference, we are all
human and have feelings. I try
to treat others the way that I want
to be treated. When you add God
to that, it comes out to be the same logic but with a different spin.
Even though I don't understand, it's not up to me to understand why some people are gay or different. It's how I respond.
LBJ(s)