Saturday, August 25, 2007

Spitting In The Wind

As bad and as tough as we think we are, deep down inside most of us realize that we have moments of weakness. Most of us are vulnerable to something. It could be the smooth talk of someone from the opposite sex. It could be sexy eyes. It could be someone who knows how to dance. Some of us are suckers for who are or appear to be intelligent. On the other hand, our vulnerability may not be in the form of another person. It could be a weakness for shopping or chocolate or eating too much or watching too much television. Maybe it is the inability to pass up so-called good gossip. Sometimes we seemingly just can’t help ourselves in the way we try to intimidate or manipulate or abuse or play mind games with others.

It is easy for me to look at other Christian singles and say my vulnerability is not as bad as theirs. It is easy for other Christian singles to look at my vulnerabilities are much worse than what they struggle with. Guess what? When we maximize the weaknesses of others and minimize our own, we are just spitting in the wind.

And what does that get us? Well, stuff all over our faces!

Let’s accept the reality that we all have stuff we have to struggle against or weaknesses we have to work hard to overcome. Mine is not better than yours and yours is not worse than mine. All of it keeps us from getting as close to God as He would like for us to.

So what is the alternative to spitting in the wind for Christian singles? Good question. Let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, my thought is we should always try to keep the “stuff out of our own face” and I am not sure about anyone else but my stuff is pretty bad and it is a full time job for me to try to keep it out of my face.

I don’t have time to compare my stuff to anyone else because as you stated “those weaknesses” are keeping me from God. I no longer want to be that one who hinders someone else from flying in the wind - gossip and comparing one sin against another (sin is sin) is spitting in God’s face.

The alternative to spitting in the wind for me is to get the “plank out of my eye” instead of worrying about the stick in someone else's eye and remove those things that keep me from flying in the wind or being the wind underneath someone else’s feet. We should all keep in mind that He is made stronger in our weaknesses; only if we stay in relationship with him can we be strengthen.

~mlh

Anonymous said...

First of all, my thought is we should always try to keep the “stuff out of our own face” and I am not sure about anyone else but my stuff is pretty bad and it is a full time job for me to try to keep it out of my face.

I don’t have time to compare my stuff to anyone else because as you stated “those weaknesses” are keeping me from God. I no longer want to be that one who hinders someone else from flying in the wind - gossip and comparing one sin against another (sin is sin) is spitting in God’s face.

The alternative to spitting in the wind for me is to get the “plank out of my eye” instead of worrying about the stick in someone else's eye and remove those things that keep me from flying in the wind or being the wind underneath someone else’s feet. We should all keep in mind that He is made stronger in our weaknesses; only if we stay in relationship with him can we be strengthen.

~mlh

Anonymous said...

Before I can even look at anyone else's situations, I have to look at my own. It's one thing to comment to a friend about someone's circumstances and I say "comment" not talk about or rag them to the ground. But if I don't have my act together, what right do I have to concern myself with someone else's weaknesses, vulnerablities and so forth.
Cause you know, I love those snickers candy bars. And don't forget that Chik-fil-a grilled chicken sandwhiche. Sex, well that seems to be a dead issue.
Is it still wrong to long for that relationship even if I am not sure if that is what I really want?
See, my house has to be in order too. So what was that question again?

lbj(s)