Sunday, August 19, 2007

Who God Speaks To

Have you ever been in a debate and because of the other person’s refusal to see your side, you felt like you were wasting your breath? I wonder how many times God has felt that way about us. Whether He uses the approach of speaking to us through circumstances or other people or if He taps us directly on the shoulder; each of us has been guilty of causing God to waste His breath.

I can you now: “First of all Kevin, I do not get into debates with God and secondly, I do not ignore what He is saying.” I am in no position to dispute your claims. But if not you, recognize that many others do and say things as if God has not ever spoken to them.

It is my hope and prayer that one of the most receptive groups that God speaks to will be Christian singles. Prayerfully, we will heed His words and that will help us to treat others as if they are children of God. (This is the beginning of keeping things in context.) In fact, because of our spiritual attention to God’s voice, we can help to restore hearing to those who cannot or will not hear God speaking to them.

On one level it can be said that God speaks to everyone. His voice is all around us. If we listen with the correct ears, we can sense God’s voice in the majestic slopes of the mountains or the powerful and steady grumblings of the oceans or in the energy zapping heat of the noon day sun. But unfortunately, His voice falls on too many deaf ears. If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it; does the falling tree make a sound? So when God speaks to us and we go ahead and do things our way; has His voice really made a sound?

On a more practical level, God speaks to those who can hear Him. In fact, there are those who will say that God has not or cannot speak to them. From a spiritual perspective; their words become a self-fulfilling prophecy. But what about the few that do hear and follow God’s words and hide them in their hearts? Then, BLESSED ASSURANCE, God can become like a chatterbox!

With each decision or action we initiate, we are answering a question that has come to us down through the ages. Many of us would rather debate whether or not God speaks, which is one way to distract the focus away from our duty to listen for the WORD of the Almighty. But I think the ever present and more relevant question that has followed mankind since the beginning is: Does God speak to YOU?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God does speak to me and I hear Him. But I don't always listen or follow His command.
That is when I make wrong choices or decisions. If I would have just listened and followed those directions, a whole lot of "stuff" could have been avoided. But thats what I get for thinking that I know me better than He.
It's one thing to hear and listen.
And another to hear, listen and follow.
lbj(s)

Anonymous said...

Yes, God does speak to me rather it is through another source such as the blog, an email, or through another person His voice is always in sync with his Word. I have to be willing to hear His voice and be in a position to receive with expectations of hearing from God. I must keep in mind that his timing, his ways nor his thoughts are not like mine...it is my belief if God is the author of anything He will be there every step of the way and God will finish it.

Be still and know that I am God...