Thursday, August 23, 2007

From The Git-Go

Whoa, this singleness trip can be a TRIP! No romantic prospects. Not enough platonic friends. Not even a booty call to say “No” to!! Can somebody at least act like they are interested in me? I mean, what am I, chopped liver?

From the git-go, we get sidetracked by what we feel we are missing. Oftentimes, we waste precious time looking at what we don’t have when we should be using that time to “getting up and go” out there to do something.

From the git-go, we have access to the tools that will enhance our singleness. We don’t ALWAYS have to be depressed or lonely or frustrated or bitter. God has given us the capacity to experience joy, but only if we learn to put Him first.

From the git-go, God should reside at the forefront of our thoughts and actions. That way, we don’t have to put life on pause while we go looking for Him when our singleness takes a bad turn. “Oh, hey loneliness, wait here before you start bringing me down, let me go find God first. I know I put Him around here somewhere.” “Good morning, frustration and bitterness, take a seat while I try to remember where I last placed God.”

From the git-go, we can be the kind of friend to other singles that is consistent with our calling as children of God. “Dear friend, I would love to help you with your problem, but I need to get reconnected to the Divine Father. So if you don’t mind putting your challenges on hold….” “Oh, that is too bad how things are going for you, I know there is an answer to your situation, but my spiritual radar has been running low on charge lately.”

How long will we make things worse for ourselves and for those we interact because we refuse to put God in His rightful place of git-go? Haven’t we shed enough tears and watched other singles cry to know that it does not have to be that way? WAKE UP! (Remember the scene at the end of the movie, "School Daze"?)

Lord, thank you for being a God that is willing to love us from the git-go. Help us to do the things we can to keep you there. Because if you are in your rightful place, our singleness journey can be transformed into blessedness and we can be positioned to help transform the singleness others in a positive way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin,

A while back you shared a little balance act exercise with me which I am sure you remember. I must say it is working quite well and I am not saying I don’t have those moments when I am over taken by the “from the Git-Go” but I am able to manage to get back to Him. Again, I love the post and receive the advice.

I no longer try or pray for contentment in being single but I strive and find contentment and joy in just serving the Lord…I no longer consider being alone as lack but opportunity.

Thank you again and I am so very glad God chose you to be on this single journey with me...if I had to travel with anyone I could not have chosen a better tour guide.

I thank God for you!

Anonymous said...

I think I am a loner at heart.
I enjoy people when I want to be around people.
I like coming home and possibly reading my book, watching Oprah or playing a game on the computer when I am not doing homework.
I often wonder what it would be like if there was a special other in my life. Would we spend time cuddling and laughing around like teenagers do? Would we lay around and watch basketball games or crazy movies on tv? Maybe we both would crash on the sofa after a big meal on a Sunday afternoon after church. These are thoughts that run through my mind and I would like to do these things before I get too old to remember how to do them ;)
But as I said once before, that ain't happening, so what am I to do?
I can either mope and wish. Or enjoy this house that God has blessed me with and watch that tv, read that book, enjoy that meal and take that nap by myself.
If I want to hang out with someone, then I pick up the phone and ask the girlfriends what is the plan for the weekend.
I know I don't want to grow old alone, but I am not alone. God is there and so are many other's who either chose not to be married or who are just like me. I refuse to live each day wondering if Mr. Right is right around the corner or every time a male approaches me if he's the one. I have pushed those longings so far in the back of my mind that it's almost beginning to feel like that there was a time that I used to...
Life is so good and God put us here to work for Him, but He also wants us to enjoy it. I can't enjoy it if I am always thinking or hoping for something that is not there and may not ever come.
That would keep me in total depression.
I am trying daily to keep God forefront. When those thoughts or longings attempt to come, I pick up that phone and we singles get to go and hang out. So from the git go, I think I am on the right track. If I should slip and head on the wrong path, there are "friends" who keep me in check and put me back in my place.
Thank you for your words and reminders.
lbj(s)