Tuesday, August 14, 2007

When God Speaks

Sometimes, we can be so stubborn!

There are times when we get in one of those “I want things done my way” moods and we refuse to consider other viewpoints. During those periods of “mule-headedness”, we have sex with people we should not, we say things to people we should not say, we allow people to “push our buttons” that we should be able to handle better and we think about things that lead us away from God’ path. It is times like that which cause us to view things out of context.

What happens when we are being stubborn and God is trying to speak to us? I pray that we do not put Him off and tell Him to go bother someone else. I know what you are thinking; “I would never talk that way to God!”. Are you sure about that? How about that time when you doubted that God was going to grant the things you were asking Him for? Or when you stayed up all night worrying about something that you asked God to deliver you from? Or when you went out of your way to reject the guidance of the Holy Spirit so that you could do whatever you felt you were big and bad enough to do?

You may know much better than me, but I can’t tell if the time that God speaks to me is the last time He will speak to me on that particular matter. So, if I don’t heed His voice at that time, maybe I am blocking a blessing He has for me. There you go again! Yes, I know about His grace and mercy, but they are not guaranteed for each and every situation. For example, maybe God has spoken to me about how to advance in my career and if I did not submit to His will, then perhaps He will leave me to lie in the bed I have fixed for myself. That doesn’t mean that He will not extend His grace and mercy to me on other matters, but maybe not on matters relating to my career (in this example.)

So here is what I am going to try to do. When God speaks, I am going to urgently listen to what He has to say and I am going to act as if that is the last time He is going to speak to me on that matter. I am not going to take His grace and mercy for granted. Lord knows I could use a lot of His help to make my singleness journey “more better”! The best chance of improving my lot is to truly listen and get to moving and grooving when God speaks.


Tomorrow's Post: How God Speaks

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin,

Learning to hear God’s voice and adhering to it gets to be a challenge at times. Although, I am not out here committing fornication and adultery or having and entertaining conversations that are out of the contexts of God, I do something that is equally just as bad and that is doubt.

I still feel in many ways I struggle or stay in the place of loneliness far too long even after God has assured me He is with me and will never leave me. Even though, He reminds me I am His and I am so wonderfully made and fashioned by Him yet, I still question my beauty and self worth …Why is it I do hear God’s voice but I keep slipping back in that dark place? I certainly know that my peace is found in Christ. I am not asking for an answer to finding a mate or a cure for my loneliness I am just trying to get out of this “dark place” and remain in this peaceful and joyous place. I hear God’s voice that will keep me in perfect peace but how quickly I sometimes forget.

So you tell me if I keep ignoring the voice of peace it may not return and that I am blocking my own blessings?? I pray that is not the case because I don’t feel finding peace is just for me but to share with others who are going through just what I am but afraid to admit it.

You ask a while back what you could do to help each of us and I stated the best you could do was pray for me and hopefully you have not forgotten to do your very best.

Take Care,

Anonymous said...

I am not sure how to respond to this one. I see where you are coming from when we don't listen and follow when God speaks to us.
I went my own way and He allowed me to lie in that bed and make the best of it. It was not what He wanted for me, but He still carried me thru my mess.
But as the other reader stated, I too struggle with that beauty and self worth thing. I know that God created me and we are all beautiful and wonderfully made.
Here comes that "but" if we are so beautiful and wonderfully made, why doesn't anyone else see this beauty? Why am I still single?
Why isn't that special person in my life?
Since I made bad choices in the past and followed my own way instead of His way, am I doomed?
I know stay in His word and stay focused on Him and not my situation and everything else should fall into place. I will be concentrating on His will and I shouldn't have enough time to worry about singleness.
This is long and it seems as if I am rambling on and on.
But if I didn't listen then, has He closed the line to my answer for the single part of my life?
lbj(s)