Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The More Important Thing

In our relationships, we often elevate our own views and habits at the expense of others'. We have developed a comfort level of how things "work" and we assume that those we relate to will see it that way too.

  • "I may not say it, but you will know I care for you through my actions."
  • "I may not show it, but you will know I care for you because I say it."
  • "If you are nice to me, then I will be nice to you."
  • "If it comes down to choosing between my pride or my relationships with you, I will always choose my pride."
  • "Because it makes me vulnerable, I will not tell you how much I care for you. That is something you should just know."
  • "If how I feel for you changes, I will not tell you, but you can tell from my actions."

Let's look at God's example. He did not choose His pride over a relationship with us. He not only TELLS us He loves us; He SHOWS it as well. He was willing to come outside of His comfort zone to prove His love for us.

In our relationships, romantic, platonic or otherwise, let's not discard them. Rather, let's do all that we can (and more) to nurture them. Whether we want to admit it or not, it's not about our pride or fears. Moreover, it is not about always being right or our partners always being wrong. None of that stuff really matters. Our relationships are the more important thing.

No comments: