Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Bamboozled, Tricked and Punked

How many times have we declared our dreams and hopes and then when no one is looking, we wondered why the words we spoke are so different from what is really in our hearts? I can hear you responding, “No, Kevin. I don’t know what you are talking about.”

Oh really? So you always wanted to be:

  • A single mom with the father of your children being a no-show in their lives.
  • An underpaid, overworked employee at a company that is liable to lay you off at any moment.
  • A divorced person who has seen more birthdays, Christmas holidays and New Year’s celebrations as a single-again person than you did as part of a marriage partnership.
  • A person who is working in a field totally unrelated to your academic training.
  • Someone with no romantic partner and few friends which leaves you to spend holidays and other special days alone.

These and other points highlight the differences between what we have dreamed and what we have actually become. Very few of us dreamed of becoming a single parent or an underpaid worker or a divorcee or a long-term single-again person. Most of us still harbor the sometimes desperate hope that tomorrow will be better than today even though today is just like so many of our yesterdays. When will the madness end?

We have bamboozled, tricked and punked and we are the chief trickster!

What a crying shame it is for single Christians to lay claim to dreams by default instead of daring to dream what may appear to be the impossible dream.

  • I am okay with not ever getting married.
  • It’s alright if I never find true love.
  • All I need is some mind-blowing sex every now and then and I’ll be fine.
  • I don’t need to go through the trouble of starting new relationships; I like things the way they are now.
  • Why buy the cow when I can get the milk for free? It can’t get any better than that, can it?

Psst. Come closer, I have a secret to share with you. A little closer. You are almost there. Here it is…… You have bamboozled, tricked and punked and you are the chief trickster!

You have allowed yourself to settle for less than what God is trying to give you and you have the audacity to say you are fine with that? Instead of giving in to your feelings of inadequacy and unworthiness, step up and boldly lay claim to the dreams that God whispered in your ear years ago when you were younger and less tainted by the harshness of the world. Stop being a victim of an unspiritual drive-by and stop being the butt-end of satan’s jokes. The dreams you proclaim are the gateway to your legacy and destiny. So when you lean lean lean more to the devil’s side than to God’s side, you are selling yourself way short.

Tomorrow’s Post: To Dream The Possible Dream

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry but this is a long one.

Okay Dude,
Let me get this straight. Since I have chosen at this late stage of my life to:

Enjoy the material things that God has blessed me with.
Do my utmost best on the job that I do have.
Spend time with my family when possible.
Enjoy the company with the few true friends that are there when the time permits.
Sex. Well I am at a point where that is not an issue. (If I was younger that would be a different story).
I believe God placed me on this earth for a reason. If I have detered from His plan and did my own thing, I just might have to sleep in that bed that I made. He may decide to let my older years be my best and let that love of my life come forth.
Job wise, again at this age if I am not my own boss, bringing in the amount of all my monthly expenses, and keeping me living the lifestyle that I am accustomed to, I'll stay where I am.
Each day that I wake up man, I am over joyed. Not because I have the man that my heart so longs for, or because my children are overly successfull. But because there is my little bit of health and strength. I can get around without the use of artificial support. The eyes are dimmer, but they still work. I am alone because I don't have the mate that I choose. But I have a friend that I value that friendship more than a mate. Man, I can't spend time worring about a love life, job or even children who don't get it right. They are over 21 and it's their life. I may get upset. But I love the gift that I am given every day. Another day to enjoy and try to do something different than the day before. Either make someone else's day better with that smile or a kind word. Or sit on my sofa with the candles lit and drink a glass of wine or even champagne. Curl up and read a good book or possibly plan that exotic vacation for next year.
Dude, if I have been BAMBOOZLED, TRICKED AND PUNKED AND I AM THE CHIEF TRICKSTER, what is on the other side. If it gets any better than this, I don't know if I can handle it. Bring it on.

LBJ"s"

Kevin Morgan said...

Dear LBJS,

So when you were a little girl, you dreamed of being what you are today? Probably not. In your dreams, you probably were happily married with successful grown kids, working a nice job with friends to hang out with occasionally. Is that your life today?

The point is this: We allow ourselves to say that what we have is good enough even though it is far below what we dreamed of when we are younger. Even more importantly, the dreams we had in our youth were markers to what God had in store for us. It's okay to let ourselves down, but do we want to let HIM down also?

Think about your life now. Are you really doing what God wants you? Most of us are like ships being tossed about by the seas. Where ever circumstances take us is where we end up. That is not the same as fulfilling the purpose that God has for us.

The challenge is for all of us to look beyond where the seas of life have tossed us and sincerely look to God to grow in our understanding of HIS expectations of us.

Anonymous said...

Kevin,
When I was a young girl I dreamed of the perfect marriage and the most adorable kids that life good give. I didn't dream of becoming a doctor or lawyer. I just wanted to be the black June Cleaver. Well, I am quite sure that you can guess that that did not happen. I went outside of God's will and did my own thing. In the process, I have messed up some very important lives.
Okay, now I am trying to stay on the right track and follow His will. Whatever that may be.
God did not plan for everyone to be married. Just because I may not remarry does not mean I am not in His will. It may be my Lot In Life for not following His will back then to have to be happy with friends and do what good I can to uplift His kingdom. While in the process of doing this work and He places someone in my life, okay.
I am happy to be where I am in my life today. Not with my children or my failed marriage. But with life.
I don't feel any less of a person without those arms around me at night because I had that at one time and I know what it's like. I don't stop smiling or laughing because there is no significant other there. I still have the joy of knowing I am loved inspite of that person not being there.
I am here and God is all around me letting me know that whatever I want its there. Just be patient and it too shall come to pass. I have to learn to be patient. But don't stop living and experiencing joy everyday.
Is this so wrong?
LBJ"s"