Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Dreams Out The Back Door

It is an unfortunate fact of life that we often do not literally mean what we say. This is particularly true when we speak of our dreams. To people listening to our words, it may appear that we are definitive in the declaration of what we want or hope for. But most of us are looking over our shoulders because we are afraid that others may uncover the true intentions behind our words.

It is indeed a sad life when we allow our dreams to slip out the back door.

It is one thing for us pursue our dreams and fall short of them. At least we can assert that we tried and that perhaps it was not meant to be. However, when we forget to lock the back door and we never have a chance to pursue “the what might have been scenarios” in our lives, we miss out on the thrill of the chase which invigorates us and adds excitement to our respective journeys.

But noooo, we spent so much time putting double locks on the front doors to salvage our pride and feed our fears, that we left the entrances to our sense of purpose undefended. In the panic of appearing to be stronger than we really are and to perpetrate the lie that we got it going on, our dreams escaped to anyplace but here in our hearts and minds. That’s what happens when we pay more attention to our fears and pride than to our divine sense of destiny; prison bars that try to hold our dreams hostage only end up giving them an incentive to break free.

It is indeed a sad life when we allow our dreams to slip out the back door.

You do not have to possess a particular skill in dream interpretation to accept that our dreams are divine whispers into our consciousness to move us toward our destiny. But so many Christian singles have had those divine whispers shouted down by those voices in our heads that suggest we are not good enough or capable or ready to achieve what our minds have conceived. Like Peter who stood in the middle of the boisterous sea and who paid more attention to the rocky seas than to the miracle God was demonstrating, we were ready to press the panic button. In a sense, our almost drowning experience in a sea of doubts and feelings of inadequacy became a self-fulfilling prophecy. Each time we darn near killed ourselves by succumbing to those negative emotions, we opened the back door a little wider for our dreams to slip, slide away.
Tomorrow: Bamboozled, Tricked and Punked

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Kevin,
We all have dreams. But we don't all have the skill of patience.
We dream of marriage, children and growing old with our loved ones.
Then sometimes comes divorce, children going astray and the dreams are then shattered.
Question? Do we dare to dream this impossible dream again?
I know step out of that box and take a risk. Continue to keep our trust in God and keep "Hope Alive" ;)
The key is patience and don't give up on that dream. I want to dream of that special person in my life, my children finally getting things together. I want to see family sitting around that table during the holidays just like in the movies. Even though we are not the Huxtables, we still have each other and God's unconditional love.
But and there is always that but, do I dare be patient for something that I believe is not going to happen or am I just wrong to dream this dream and just continue doing what I am doing and trust God to make "A Dream" come true with different players?
LBJ"s"

Anonymous said...

If it is OK I would like to share with both the writer and the readers a dream of a kid for her father…there is always a new dream --dreams never really go out the door they are always interconnected; and no one should ever devalue another person’s life dream because it is not as big as we think it should be...

I spent all of the holiday in the hospital waiting room, certainly dreaming that it would all be over and that I could simply change or reverse what was about to take place with my daddy. Yes, I was dreaming my daddy would not have to endure what was about to happen to him on Christmas Eve and at this moment I wished if only I was a doctor I could get my father a new heart…and then I realized it is God who could give my father a new heart s because He does all things including making dreams come true. For it true, as a little girl I dreamed of a different profession, and certainly a different life; now as a my daddy’s big girl I dream of that perfect love story –but right now at this moment I daydream more, for one day at a time for my daddy and my daddy to be healed and the other dreams seem so fruitless and unimportant.

Fore I know dreams really do come true..