Friday, December 28, 2007

To Dream The Possible Dream

When it comes to dreams, the first thing we need to acknowledge is that they originate with God. In our younger days, our dreams were a way of giving shape to our destiny, our future. At that innocent age, the particulars of the dreams was not as important as the budding passion that were going to drive us toward our potential.

So our lives will turn out differently from what we dream, that is true. But the direction should not. We may not be the lawyer or doctor or professional dancer or football player that we aspired to in our youth. But we should be doing something that leaves a legacy and moves our family and friends forward. Sometimes we foolishly say, “If I can help one person along the way, then my life would not have been in vain.” But the spiritual truth is that God is expecting us to touch many lives in so many positive ways. Why are you willing to help only one when God says you can help so many more?

To dream the possible dream is to allow God to point you in the right direction. When we truly allow that to happen, we may end up becoming something we had no intention of becoming. Maybe a “numbers person” becomes an artist. Maybe a “clumsy teenager” becomes an aerobics instructor. Maybe a high school graduate eventually becomes a college professor. But whatever it is that God is calling you to; make sure you do it well. The key thing is to do well what God calls you to, not what you settle for.

For most of us, God calls us to multiple roles. A trusted friend, a husband or wife, a supervisor or employee, a business owner, a church member and the list goes on. Only you CAN know the roles God is calling you to, but often we ACT like we really don’t know. Just because we deny them, doesn’t mean the calling is not there.

To dream the possible dream is to accept that divine fact that God knows you are capable of. Marriage? Even though your marriage ended; that doesn’t mean that God is not still calling you to be happily married. Success? Even though it seems everything you have taken on has fallen apart; it doesn’t mean that you are not destined for great things. Legacy? Even though it seems you have no particular talents, it doesn’t mean that you are not being called to make this world a better place. How often have we held ourselves hostage to our past disappointments and shortcomings and denied ourselves the chance to realize God’s ordained future?

When you read this post, don’t look at the specific examples and say “Aha, that doesn’t apply to me.” Rather, examine your life and try to identify the specific roles that God is still calling you to. Be open to becoming something you may have not thought was in the cards. Don’t accept less than what God is expecting for you and say, “This is good enough for me.” Don’t make excuses for life not turning out the way YOU thought it would and do dare to dream the POSSIBLE dream.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kevin,
I see your point and there is no "but" in this.
Each day as I go about my journey,
I pray that I am doing God's will in something that I do. The job, the people I come in contact with in my profession and the children. Each time I talk with parent of a wayward child. The work I do in church. As I continue to grow daily and enjoying what God has blessed me with I will be open to what He places there for me. There is no excuse. I will continue to be happy with life until He makes the changes in my life come forth. I feel that I am in place and trying to better myself for when these changes unfold. I romise to live each day to its fullest. If I am still not attached or the right size or in the perfect profession, I will continue to find joy in all that is before me. No excuses in that is there?
LBJ"s"