Monday, January 15, 2007

How YOU Got Over!

Most of us are familiar with the phrase, “My soul looks back and wonders how I got over.” Isn’t it nice to reflect on our journey and take note of how far we have come? Thank God, we are not as bad off as we used to be. We don’t succumb as easily to certain temptations. We don’t fall as quickly for certain lines. We don’t get weak in the knees as readily when that certain someone comes into view. We don’t use those four letter words as often. But even more profoundly, God still has blessed us despite our moments of inconsistencies and our times of unfaithfulness. Instead of giving us what we have deserved, He has chosen to grant us GRACE! Truly we can look back and wonder how is it that we are so much smarter, kinder, stronger, more lovable, more patient, more trustworthy and more spiritually committed. But in the midst of our wonderment, we also recognize that God gets all of the credit for our growth and positive change.

Are we just as happy for someone else when they “make it over”?

I ran into a friend who I had not spoken with for over a year. (For the record, I tried to keep in touch, but she did not keep up her end of the communication. But that is not the point of this post!!) After catching up and some small talk, I learned that she is on track to graduate with a Ph.D and she has a new job with more responsibilities and more money. To top it all off, she is engaged to be married to a man that when she talks about him, her face glows with the radiant flush of blissfulness of being in love. Praise God that she has gotten over!

She is experiencing what so many of us Christian singles are hoping and praying and waiting for. As her friend, I know some of the struggles she had to endure and some of the bad choices she made. I remember conversations where her life was full of questions to which she did not know the answers. But now, she is sitting on top of the world.

To my friend, I say, “Praise God for how He has favored you. Because I know a little about what you have come through, I swell with pride and joy in knowing that your prayers have been answered and that your tears of yesterday are now just relics of a distant past. Because God has blessed you, I know that others’ lives will be enriched because of how He is going to use you. My soul looks back and truly wonders and gives God all of the credit for how you got over.

No comments: