Saturday, January 27, 2007

It’s Your Thing; Don’t Give It To Me!!

Each of us has areas in our lives that we need to work on. In that regard, single Christians are no different from other people. Having these areas that need improvement is not necessarily a problem. Rather, I think the “problem” occurs with how we handle them.

One such problem occurs when we try to give our “thing” to someone else. IT’S YOUR THING; DON’T GIVE IT TO ME! The “things” I am talking about are too numerous to list, but a few examples are:

  • A low sense of self-esteem
  • Low resistance to sexual temptation
  • Inability to trust people
  • Easily succumb to your inner fears
The point of this post is not to discuss what our particular “things” are. Instead, the point is we should not try to shift to others the responsibility for dealing with our challenges. If I have low esteem, it is not helpful for me to treat you like you are the one with low self-esteem. If I have low resistance to sexual temptation, I should not look down on you if I THINK you have the same problem. Instead of giving my “things” to you, I need to pray that God will help me to grow in my ability to deal with or get rid of them.

We have enough challenges to face that we do not need other people to give us their issues. When it comes to those “things”, let’s stop being so generous!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr Writer,

"It is your thing: Don't give to me!!"; my flesh and selfish side would love to to say "Go head my brother, tell it like it is" but then there is that Chritian and living side of me that wants to agree with you to certain point...We should be like Him right so, Where does the incessory pray come in "what about "numbered with the transgressors", how do you deal with the lost or those Christians that are a "work in process" or are those of us who are still "under construction",if we are not willing to take on their burdens...?

Although, I certainly agree one should not treat others as though their the one with problem, we should never forget "how we got over" and "how we came through". We must remeber we need nothing to deserve his goodness and mercuy it is God who is in total control.

The Bible saids, "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much (5:16 KJV).

M