Friday, June 27, 2008

Bless Me, Bless Me

Bless me, bless me, oh Lord, bless me indeed!

All over the land there are single Christians making that request of the Lord. I can’t blame them because they understand that you haven’t been blessed until you have been blessed by God. At times, they paraphrase the words of Jacob: “Lord, I ain’t going nowhere until you bless me.

What does it mean to be blessed as a single Christian? There is a part of us that says being blessed should mean finding our true love. Then there is another part of us that says being blessed is learning to maximize one’s singleness. I humbly suggest that the “real” answer is somewhere in between.

God is not a heartless manipulator that plants the desire for love and affection in each of us only to laugh scornfully when love is the furthest thing from our minds and hidden from our little corners of the world. So, accepting the benevolent vision of God, if He is the one responsible for giving us the desire, we should also expect that He is the one to position us to realize the fulfillment of those desires.

But God also knows that we are more than just a human with an asterisk next to our names because we may not have a romantic partner at this time. He knows that we can live healthy and productive lives as single Christians. He not only knows that, He expects us to leave a positive mark on the world. The old tired excuse of “Hey, I was lonely” is not going to be acceptable.

So do Lord, do Lord, please remember us. We need your blessings. Because of how you have made us, we want it all. We want the romance AND we want to be content. You planted both of those desires in us, so we trust you enough to expect nothing less than the complete fulfillment of your will in our lives.

Thank God that He is not only capable but also willing to bless me, bless me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay Kevin,
I believe you are seeing the light.
When I got to the 3rd and 4th paragraph of your writing that is
what its all about.
Yes He has given us these desires and it is up to us how we handle them. As long as we stay in that zone that He has provided for us. Continuosly doing His will, work ... Those things will come to pass.
Every day that we breath life, a portion of health and strength, food of some sorts, shelter, some means of survival and really true friends that are in your corner through thick and thin, He "is" blessing us.
I "am" blessed cause my life contains all that is listed above.
No, I don't have that man to whisper sweet nothings and hold me at night. Or take longs walks in the park, or even take me to the movies or dinners.
When I have moments to think about those things, there is a sweet inner voice that reminds me that I am sweeter than any honey.
Outside of My arms you will never find such joy. Every step you take, I am right there with you.
Every sight that you see, that is the movie I give to you. When you are hungry, I prepare the best meal you can eat.
My heart cries with joy and sorrow, because I feel selfish.
I am truly blessed and I have no reason to feel down or depressed because I don't have a physical being that we share each others desires and needs.
Romance is not the furthest thing from my mind, but it doesn't consume it either.
Peace
lbj