Saturday, June 21, 2008

When The Lakers Lose


I am a big Los Angeles Lakers fan and have been since the days of Wilt “the stilt” Chamberlain, Gail Goodrich and Jerry West. I was elated to see they made it to the NBA championship, but not so excited by the end result. Yes, my Lakers lost!!

But I learned a little something about me in the process of suffering through the Lakers’ failure in the championship series. In the midst of my disappointment about how the Lakers’ season ended; I still had to get up in the mornings. Bills still had to be paid. My car still is in need of major repair. My website still needs to be developed. My marketing plan for my new book still needs to be implemented. The church newsletter I edit still needs to be distributed. I still need to express Godly love to people I encounter, including those who may not love me.

The point? Our singleness journey will encounter some disappointments. But, God still expects us to get up in the morning and do what we do. Yes, it is a bummer at times to not have a romantic partner or to not have enough friends or to struggle against feelings of loneliness or to battle sexual frustration. If you are human, then these challenges will occur every now and then. It is not being spiritual to act like these things do not exist and that you NEVER have any problems with them. Instead, our spiritual calling leads us to acknowledge them, deal with them and still get stuff done.

Oh poor me, the Lakers lost! Oh poor singles, today might be one of those bad singleness days! Well, I encourage all Christian singles to go ahead and get up and go about your business. Because of our relationship with God, there is a hope of deliverance from whatever is bugging you. Besides, like my disappointment with the Lakers’ demise, we hold on to the hope that there is always next year. And the good news is, because we serve a God that is eternal; there is blessed tomorrow awaiting us.

No comments: