Monday, July 16, 2007

Being Too Polite

Tell me if you have ever seen this before. Someone asks a person if they would like something to drink. The other person responds with a “No, thank you”. But what this person is really thinking is that he or she really would like what is being offered and they hope the person will insist. After the third or fourth offer, this person finally says yes. This is an example of someone being too polite. They knew they wanted the drink, but they “politely” refused hoping the person would ask again and again.

Why do people do that? Why not say yes the first time instead of waiting until the third or fourth time something is offered? Several possible reasons are: 1. They don’t want to appear too eager to accept the drink. 2. They don’t want to look bad by accepting the drink. 3. They are operating under some unwritten rule that says you do not accept something the first time it is offered. 4. They don’t want to be disappointed.

How often have we Christian singles been too polite with God? When He asks how we would like to bless Him, we say cliché-type things like:

  • I’d rather be a door keeper in Heaven than …..
  • I just want to be content wherever I am
  • I don’t need a man or woman to make me happy
  • And the list goes on

As we are saying those things, we are secretly hoping that God will insist on blessing us with those things we REALLY want but we are being too POLITE to mention. Let’ stop fooling ourselves! When God asks us what we want, let’s be honest and tell Him.

  • Lord, I want a mate
  • I don’t want to be single the rest of my life
  • I want to make more money
  • I want people to like me
  • I want more genuine friends
  • I am tired of living from paycheck to paycheck
  • I need a new car
  • And there is so much more

What is it that you want God to bless you with? There is absolutely positively nothing wrong with being specific with Him. Instead, we hope He will weed through our pious, but empty prayers and figure out what is on our wish lists. When we come to God with our wishy-washy desires, we take ourselves out of position to be blessed in abundance.

Wishy-washy spirituality does not help you and it makes it even more difficult for you to help others. There is too much “STUFF” going on out in the world for Christian singles to be wimpy prayer warriors. If we can’t be clear with God on what we want, how can we effectively intercede on the behalf of others? Let’s stop hoping God will read our minds and bless us in spite of our vague and distracted prayers. God is asking us how we want to be favored by Him. Now is not the time to be TOO POLITE.

Tomorrow's Post - Staring Into God's Mouth

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post and awesome points…maybe you are on to something BUT as for me “I am tried of sifting through all this stuff”. I personally just cannot do it any more; wanting to be liked; hoping for a mate; wanting real friends….

I realize I have spent about half a century being concerned about this stuff. I am not married most likely will not be married…”SO I NEED TO GET OVER IT”.

I am in no way polite or shy when it comes to letting God know the desires of my heart, my wants and needs (God already knows). My desires are very clear to God but to man perhaps not.

But, I cannot continue wasting time begging people to love me for me; expecting things of people which they are not capable of and are not willing to give or do; most of all God will not force us against our will to do anything or do His will.

God is my all and all, I know what He has for me, He has for me…I know God will do what He said;; He is not a God that would lie; He loves me unconditionally; He is always there and always on times…I am royalty and heir to the throne what more can I really ask for?

Please just simply continue to allow me to be in your prayers every now and then...

Anonymous said...

Kevin,
Did you ever think that people who do this are selfish and just want attention?
If you want a drink ask for it.
When we pray, it's in our private place. No one but me and God. He is my Father and I can ask Him for
anything. If it is in His will, if I am ready for it, if it is not for selfish gain, I just might get it.
We hope and trust that God will answer that prayer. But all prayers are not meant to be answered. That mate that we are asking for may not be what God wants for us. And not at that time either.
If God would have answered all of my prayers, I would be in the worst mess ;-)
So, I am thankfull that He hasn't answered my wish list. He is allowing me to grow and prepare myself to where I need to be.
How can I handle being a wife to someone when I am not completely satisfied with me. Notice I said satisfied. I am happy and content but not satisfied. I am a work under contruction.

LBJ"s"