Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Staring Into God’s Mouth

Didn’t your momma tell you it was impolite to stare into someone’s mouth while they were eating? Somehow, us Christian singles have acted as if that only applied to other people, but not to God. But how, you ask, can we stare into the mouth of the Almighty? Some (but not all) examples are:

  • Praying for one thing while really wanting something else
  • Asking Him for one thing, but not be willing to prepare ourselves for the very thing we ask for
  • Trying to act like we don’t want something when in fact we deeply desire it

On our singleness journey, let’s stop lying to ourselves. Let’s stop hiding behind the façade of piety because we are afraid of never being able to experience passion. Let’s stop trying to manipulate God into giving us what we really want but are too “POLITE” to really ask for it.

If we are truly children of God, we should embrace our desires and not deny them because we should understand that God is their source. Desiring a mate or wanting genuine friends or longing for wealth or good health or business success should help us to get up in the morning with a new bounce in our steps. We should approach each day with anticipation that today is the day that God is going to grant us those things we have been asking Him for. The prospect of finding true love or meeting a new platonic friend or getting that new job or buying that new house or recovering from ill health should propel us to become more like what God has envisioned for us. If we truly trust God, then we cannot wait to see how He is going to bless us today!

So, let’s not be rude. Momma would be so disappointed if she saw what were doing. “Oh where did I go wrong?” she would moan if indeed she found out we were staring into the mouth of God!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin, It's okay if we disagree right?
Well, I don't think I want to go around expecting to meet Mr. Right any day. I try to live each day enjoying all that is laid before me. Yes there are lonely times but life goes on. If I have prayed for that mate and it has not happened, then maybe I had my chance and I blew it or there was something in the way blocking that blessing. Whatever the case, it is like a disappointment each day that it does not happen.
I don't mean that I walk around mopping woes me, I haven't got a man yet. My life is so dull. Oh heck no. I am beautiful and full of life. I have so much to offer and yet I am still single. But God is a good God and I am still blessed. A man would be good to share life with, but maybe I am not ready yet or maybe that man is not ready for me yet. So I don't live each day as if is today the day? Maybe I am wrong for this thought, but that is how I feel.
LBJ"s"

Anonymous said...

Writer, it is so amazing the way God uses us as vessels; this post is so awesome and quite an eye
opener.

I keep telling myself I am actually going to do better and “mind my manners” but I just keep repeating the same thing over even though my mommy taught me better and she has told me so many times not to stare while people are eating, it is impolite to stare. While I know my mommy has my best interest at heart I just never could figure out why it was even more impolite to ask for a bite…and I feel this is much like where I am in my Christian single journey, I know God has my best interest at hear. I know what I want and God knows the desires of my heart and God is all about timing and I wonder if God would actually give me that husband, that amazing friend, that new job, and that new car, that million dollars…would I really be ready to receive those things? I am not speaking for anyone but “Marsha” I must position myself to receive but while the potter shapes me into what I am designed to be, I pray I will find joy and contentment where I am “right now”…

I am learning how to celebrate that mate I am waiting on, that dream house, that career instead of a job;that college degree; that financial statement instead of a bank statement…I have faith all that my heart desires is on the way. I realize more than ever all my thoughts must be of God and He must be involved in everything and that is where I am right now…we must learn as Christians, everyone is not where we are andwe must be willing to meet people where they are in their Christian journey.