Saturday, July 21, 2007

Walk Together Singles!

Walk together singles, don’t you get weary…..

What kind of impact can we have on the world if we allow Jesus to walk with us individually and collectively? God is leaning forward in His chair to see how we respond to that question.

Walking symbolizes movement from one point to another location. As long as we have breath, we will never reach our destination. We may hit mile markers along the way, but until we leave this side of the river, God will be keeping note of how we affect others. Our singleness journey should be dynamic in the sense that we are always growing and we are positioning others to undergo positive change. Let’s get out there and walk singles!

Walking together signifies the importance of relating and working with others. God does not expect us to implement His will in isolation. He puts people in our lives to aid us in putting His plans into action. Those people will come under different names – lovers, platonic friends, co-workers, family members, associates and others - but we have to allow the Holy Spirit to guide how we interact with them.

The world is too much in need of some good old fashioned blessings for us to get weary. Weariness occurs when we stop relying on God as the source of our strength, hope and vision. When we think we have this thing figured out and we can make our own way, we will get tired, frustrated and even confused. To the extent we stray from God’s plan for our lives is the extent to which we cannot make the world a better place. The world is bad enough already; now is not the time for single Christians to weary.

Lord, grant us the discretion to know when we should call someone a romantic partner or a friend or a family member or co-worker or associate. Help us to not get to twisted over all of the STUFF that we face and empower us to use you as the source of our everything. Elevate us so we can humbly serve. Educate us so we can effectively teach. Love us so we can share true passion with a world in need of true love. Forgive us so we can introduce others to grace and mercy. Take us by the hand and teach us the true meaning behind the phrase, “Walk together singles”.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can hardly believe it is already time for me to return to school and one would think I have enough on my mind BUT my mind was still plaque with stuff like being in a relationship platonic or otherwise …I just kept trying to find contentment in just being alone or just being single; this stuff seem to simply take over my thoughts.

Frankly this “single thing” became an obsession. I could not figure out why I am not in a relationship especially when I am being told it is the will of God that we all marry. No one knew the questions that was going through my mind and how inadequate I was feeling. Out of desperation, I felt I had to do something and perhaps God needed help finding me a mate. I had followed much of the advice posted in this blog. I even adventured to asking men out and emailing them trying to establish relationships period which left me drained and lacking (my thoughts were, "why would he not call me or return my emails, Lord what is wrong with me, was it that I am not pretty enough, young enough, and/or smart enough"?).

Then, I finally stop long enough to hear God’s voice and as I mention in an earlier article…it is so amazing how God sets situations up to simply bless us… today I was blessed with the answers to why I cannot find contentment and satisfaction in being single and why this would not be God’s will…

Although, there is far more to my blessing time does not permit me to actually tell it all (smile)… Mr. Writer, I finally get it and know now there can never be contentment in being single just opportunities to walk with the Lord and find contentment and joy in serving Christ.

Take Care!

Anonymous said...

I believe that this is a prayer that we should all keep at heart.
Very well written.
LBJ"s"