Saturday, July 14, 2007

Who Is In The Details?

It’s one thing to voice a grand proclamation; but it’s another to fully understand its implications. When a politician says that he or she is going to “save Social Security”, we all applaud. But when we find out their approach to this solution is to raise taxes, we say the benefit of saving social security is not worth the pain of higher taxes. In this case, the “devil was in the details”. This means that once we learned of the actual course of action that is being planned, we determine that we do not want the perceived benefit enough.

Singleness is full of “devil in the details” traps. We say that we can be bad all by ourselves. The detail behind that saying is we are not open to new relationships nor are we willing to work through any problems in our current relationships. Whenever the end result is destroyed or still-birthed relationships, the devil is in the details. However, if “being bad all by ourselves” means that we treasure the positive relationships we do have or that we use the time of solitude to grow closer to God AND to improve ourselves, then God is in the details.

There are so many more examples to use that it would do an injustice to list just a few. But, the key point is that Christian singles should do a better job of making sure it is God and not the devil that is in our details. We all experience loneliness, a sense of solitude, a longing for true love and even a desire for physical intimacy from time to time. But what do we do when those feelings occur? The devil will try to lead us away from the blessings God has for us and if he succeeds, then we will experience pain, frustration, bitterness and even guilt. This is true even if we have fleeting and temporary moments of happiness. If, on the other hand, the joy that comes from putting God in the details is more enduring. The path of spiritual inspiration will allow us to experience joy, satisfaction, PERFECT peace and a sense of being revitalized.

We have been trained to say all of the right “STUFF”. But, when we get below the surface, we find that the devil is all up in the mix. Whenever we look around and we see a string of broken relationships, unfulfilled promises of true love and seemingly countless nights of loneliness, somehow, someway we have strayed off the path God has for us. It is my prayer that in addition to saying the right things, that we will “stomp the devil” and invite God to become manifest in the details of our everyday decisions and actions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great write but, if you have a receipt for keeping the “devil out of our stuff” please share, give it to us.

I can only speak for myself I recognize when my thoughts and actions are of the devil but, I want to stop that “stuff” from ever entering my mind because it is not always easy to stop those thoughts once they begin…I am learning that I cannot go at this alone I must rely on the Holy spirit to guide me and I must strife to live a life of holiness …It is my teaching and realization that I am praying for that which I have already received therefore I must change the way I pray and be specific to pray exact prayers with purpose …it is funny at times the way I plead, beg and bargain with Christ because He is not moved by those prayers.

Thank you for praying for us to “stomp the devil” by including God in our daily living but this is easy said than done if we are not sure how to “keep God in all that we do or attempt to do”.