Sunday, July 01, 2007

This Week In Review Saturday 6/30/07

On Sunday, I talked about how we often spend more time thinking about what others can do for us which is contrary to the spiritual notion of spending more time focusing on what we can do for others. When we make our singleness all about me and rarely about them, we are full fledged members of the Spiritual Jive Talkers Club. On Monday, I suggested that single Christians should get out of the habit of only doing the least and expecting the least. Praying is something we should constantly do for others, but it is not ALL that we should do for others. On Tuesday, the habit of lowering our expectations to avoid being hurt or disappointed was discussed. For many of us, it is not that we do not have others willing to help us; rather, we have allowed our low self-esteem and our fears to refuse their help. We hide behind weak excuses about why that person or this person is not being helpful, but the truth of the matter is we often have pushed them away. So from a spiritual perspective, the least we can do to allow others to help us is to be open to the support of others. On Thursday, this post essentially was about a warning of what happens when we choose to operate in the land of least. When we do no more than the least for others and when we only allow others to do the least for us, we block our own blessings. Yes, we complain about it when we end up LAST, but many of us refuse to see that it is our stubborn attachment to the LEAST way of thinking that is cause.

Below are some comments I have responded to.

I must be about my father business at all times and as for me, I was never created to just be married, or just go to school; I was created to worship Him...And all those other things are “icing on the cake” or in addition too and rather we want to face it or not, all this other stuff is temporary we must focus on that which is eternal.” Is God playing a cruel joke on us or what? I believe the desire for a mate, a new house, continued education, etc are instilled in us from Him. I do not think that God wants to only think about things that are “eternal” and not dwell on the other stuff. True we must keep our priorities in place, but I think it is futile to go around trying to ONLY be spiritual when we live in a physical world. God placed us in this physical world and He wants us to experience life to the fullest physically and spiritually.

If we truly believe God is my all and all and He is indeed in control then we will look for ways and opportunities to be a good steward for Christ…We will serve Him in every way possible.” The best way to serve Christ is to serve others. The best way to be a good steward for Him is to help others be a good steward. That is why we should focus more on helping others than on helping ourselves. That is also why we should go beyond doing the least and accepting the least.

What happens when others have accepted your extended hand of God but you feel you need to take a hiatus? What if we open that door and open our heart to allow Kevin in rather it is a coach, a prayer warrior, a friend, a mate or simply ask you to stand in the gap?” Excellent questions! There is probably a lot I can say, but here is the short answer. Whenever we try to do good in our lives, God will place people to help us. I encourage you to not focus on who CANNOT help you, but on those who CAN. Believe in God’s abundance, not in man’s weaknesses.

Please do not think ill of me BUT you’re absent really hit me “WRONG” it made me feel as though I was not good enough, educated enough or not enough of something; or perhaps I said or did something to offend you and so you just threw me away…I realize these were my problems and insecurities which I will not allow that to happen again, call it “jive talking spirituality” or whatever…so be it.” It is my hope that you will come to view yourself as the wonderful child of God that you are. If you can come to that realization, you will see that you indeed are good enough, educated enough and enough of everything. Also, with this realization, you will see that actions of others that have nothing to do with you are not a judgment of you. Don’t allow what other people do to shake your status as the person due to inherit the many wonderful gifts God has for you.

certainly you deserve a hiatus but you did not think enough of most of us to tell us but you have the nerve to blog, “I am back, did you miss me and I want to help”...come on what is this really all about?” Rejoice in the fact that I am back! If your spiritual discernment says that I am not the one to help, then praise Him for His will being made evident in your life. My “hiatus” was not about anyone, so no one should let it negatively affect their journey of Christian singleness. What “this” is all about is all of us growing closer to God.

Thank you for allowing me to vent and keep in mind others are offering to help such as Creflo Dollar, Joyce Myers, T.D. Jakes and the list goes on, through their books and TV ministries, what makes your offer so different?..The favor of God is upon them a well and so now “I AM FINISH”!” You are blessed that you have so many people willing to help. Why focus on one person you feel is not able to do so? Count your blessings. Stop and look around you; God has some great things in store for you. Whoever God places in your life to help, focus on that person and not on anyone who is not able to help.

Yes, you may feel prayer is simply the least you can do as a Christian single…I may feel for me it is the very best you can do” The question you should consider asking of yourself is why do you feel that someone else’s help should be limited to ONLY praying for you? God puts people in our lives to help; most of us are in no position to tell God how to do His job better.

I feel these are opportunities which only God gives and are led by the Holy Spirit.” In more cases than not, God will deliver His blessings through other people. We cannot demand that God only bless us through this specific person or not through that specific person. No doubt that God is going to bless you, but we cannot dictate to Him whom He uses.

So if you really have a desire to help others just be patient if it is meant to be and you are doing God’s will just wait; wait I say; wait on the Lord…” Interesting mixing of scripture in your comment! When we “wait on the Lord”, it is with expectation of His actions toward us. If God gives me the capacity and the desire to help YOU, it would seem that the only blockage is YOUR willingness to accept my help. If God is not going to force you to accept His blessings; neither am I!! As the person offering the help, I do not need to be patient. Rather, the person needing the help needs to discern whether the help I am offering is of God or not. That spirit of discernment comes from “waiting on the Lord.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Writer,

Wow! You did an awesome job at addressing most of my issues and concerns…on the subject of being a helper of God for others and allowing others to help as well. I just have a few comments directly and indirectly concerning the weekly review for July 1, 2007.
Yes, you certainly sealed the entire message with a kiss when you stated “one has to use that discernment God has given them to know the difference between a willing participant and an unwilling participant in God’s will”. I believe God is truly in control and for everything there is a reason, therefore if God sent them then either it is to help or to be a helper…

Make no mistake I believe “all treasures are stored up” for the good of those who love the Lord but I will always put God first and go after the sure and good which is His promises because He tells me if I seek first the kingdom of heaven and His righteousness then “ALL OTHER THINGS SHALL BE ADDED”…not some things but all things and something tell s me that includes a mate, higher education, new home, new location and job, etc.

Also, I would never question anyone’s time or need to spent time with God or otherwise…but I still state to pull a disappearing act or going on a hiatus without telling your readers is very unfair no matter how you put it…maybe someday you will truly examine your actions /heart and see it from the readers’ point of view if not it does not change the fact that I need you and you need me…we are all a part of God’s body. Is it not better that we willing humble ourselves before the Lord, rather than let the Lord humble us?

I have never thought for one minute our meeting was not ordain by God…I realized that the moment I read your book and read the first blog…and the rest is yet to come…

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing!