Monday, July 23, 2007

Was That The SON?

As I was watching television tonight, a bulletin warning of severe thunderstorms appeared on the bottom of the screen. Isn’t it funny how sometimes we view that scrolling message as a nuisance? What was meant as a warning to help prepare us we often treat as a bad thing. “Can’t you see I’m trying to watch a favorite show? Wait until a commercial before you interrupt my moment of leisure!

Sad to say that sometimes we Christian singles treat the warnings that God sends our way as nuisances.
“Lord, can’t you see I am trying to get closer to Mr. or Miss Look So Good and your intrusions are messing things up?” “Not now Lord, I will worry about what is good for me later!” “Lord, please wait until I get off the phone or the internet before you remind me of my spiritual obligations.”

Ignoring the thunderstorm warnings does not make them go away. It would not be wise to go strolling through the park when lightning advisories have been broadcast. Maybe we should do like our ancestors used to do and unplug everything and go somewhere and sit down. Maybe they were on to something!

Even when we act like God’s warnings don’t apply to us, we can still learn something while going through our storms of singleness. Yes, it may be raining cats and dogs (also known as loneliness and depression), but don’t forget the sun is still shining. Turn off all of those things that have been putting you through “stuff” and go somewhere and be still. Maybe God is trying to tell you something.

Wasn’t that the sun you saw not too long ago? Didn’t the weatherman forecast sunny days ahead? If tomorrow is going to be a bright sunshine day, then why are you so bummed out about a few raindrops today? Lift up your heads Christian singles, tomorrow we will be able to play in the park of God’s favor and blessings. Using the spiritual satellite that will allow you to look beyond the clouds darkening your skies; take note of the gentle breeze of grace, mercy and hope. Trouble don’t last always and joy is sure to come in the morning. Don’t fret, that feeling that everything will turn out alright; isn’t that because of the SON?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this one to the point I had to stop doing my homework and give it my undivided attention; matter of fact I read it twice. Great parable and by the way I still am quite old fashion when it comes to those storms….