Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Watch Out! The Floor Is Wet!

Sometimes, you can be bopping along, minding your own business. You are not bothering anybody and you are trying to do the right thing. But before you know what happens, your foot slips and you go crashing down to the floor. Nobody told you the floor was wet!! Or did they and you did not listen?

In a perfect world, the “floors” in our lives would never get wet. But that is not realistic. Things get spilled on the floors or our floors need to be cleaned from time to time. In a not-so-perfect world, it would be nice if someone warned us when our floor is wet or put out one of those yellow warning signs. Whether we want to admit it or not, we all need others to help keep us from slipping.

Being spiritual is not about avoiding wet floors. Rather, being spiritual is learning how to adjust our walk when we know the floor is wet. God is not susceptible to slipping on wet floors, but He knows that we are. He doesn’t throw us away when we stumble, but He does warn us or sends others to warn us when we are getting ready to enter into “Watch Out for the Wet Floor” territory.

Not only is being spiritual knowing how to walk on wet floors without slipping, it is also about helping others do the same. Sometimes, we have to allow others to prop us up while we lend the same support to them. There is nothing wrong with both of us leaning on each other as we navigate the wet floors in our lives.

In case no one has told you or you have forgotten; let me remind you to be careful where you step. You are bound to encounter a slippery spot every now and then. You don’t have to necessarily alter your path; you just may need to slow down or change your shoes or pay more attention. If you listen carefully, you will hear God whispering in your ear or you will notice that someone that He has sent is pointing out a potential area of danger.

Take heed and your journey of singleness will not only be bearable, it will be blessed. Don’t try to go it alone and whatever you do, don’t ignore the next time someone tries to warn you: Watch out, the floor is wet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is an awesome post and right on time.

Is it at all possible to hinder or ignore this help God is sending to us Christians…by crossing the line in our relationships? The reason I am asking lately those who have come into my life drain me of life with their “holier than thou attitudes” toward others; certainly we should strive to be holy but it has to be more than talk and it can’t be about talking about others.

As for myself it is my desire to get to the point that I trust God for everything (for my help cometh from the Lord) and I don’t have to keep slipping and falling in the same place. I have been called to a higher place but I keep falling and stopping my own blessings…it seems my journey is to go alone but, is it myself that is causing the loneliness?

Anonymous said...

Hey!
You're back. I pray that all is well in your life and things are on track.
Thank you for reminding me of that "slippery floor". That is what "friends" do. I may not like it but I know it's for my own good.
I would say I wish I had more "friends" like you, but one is enough. You continue to pray for me and I will do the same for you.
It's good to see that you are back. Next time you need a break either physically or mentally, just let the people know. Okay?

LBJS