Monday, July 09, 2007

Last Week In Review Sunday 7/08/07

On Monday, I talked about the true meaning of being spiritual and that it is not otherworldly mystical reality. On Tuesday, I discussed how our spirituality comes into play when we encounter “wet floors” in our lives. On Wednesday, the theme was “stuff like that” and how “stuff” can either weaken or strengthen our spirituality. On Saturday, I tried to remind us to keep the main thing the MAIN Thing. Because of what happened at the cross, we do not have to let the “stuff” in our lives keep us from realizing God’s expectations.

Below are some comments I have responded to.

The last several months I have been praying for God to fill me till I want no more; I hate to admit my thoughts and burden others with my loneliness and short comings.” It is very rare that God requires us to deal with our “stuff” alone. He gave us the desire to belong to a larger whole; a romantic relationship, a family, a work environment, a social club, platonic friendships, etc. It is us up to us to discern how those “larger wholes” can help us in our times of need.

The only way I am able to be rooted and grounded in my spirituality as you call it is through and in the word of God…other wise I am sure I am not capable of doing the right thing and responding from the heart…” I hear your point, but let me humbly suggest that you indeed are CAPABLE of doing the right things. That is how God has made you (and everyone else), but we let “stuff” trick us into thinking that doing ungodly things is more natural.

I certainly would love to hear more on this subject of "Oh! That is Spiritual" instead of what spiritual is not.” Isn’t it strange we often find it easier to say what something is not rather than what it is? Being spiritual IS a reflection of the quality of our relationship to God and it is most evident when confronted with ungodly thoughts or actions. For example, our spirituality is not affirmed by our attendance at church or reading the bible or singing in the choir. Rather, it is accurately measured when we are faced with sexual temptation or seriously considering retaliating against someone or struggling with loneliness and depression.

Is it at all possible to hinder or ignore this help God is sending to us Christians…by crossing the line in our relationships?” Who draws the lines in our relationships? If we cross man-made lines, what is the risk? However, if we cross the lines that God has drawn, then perhaps there are bigger problems and dangers we are facing. For example, God may have placed someone in our lives to be our “buddy”, but we have made them our lover. Or this person was meant to be our soul mate, but we only reached a friendship level. In both instances, we lose out on God’s favor.

It seems my journey is to go alone but, is it myself that is causing the loneliness?” One thing many singles struggle with is truly discerning God’s will concerning their social and romantic lives. We wonder if we will ever find true love or if we will ever have truly good friends? Discerning God’s will is more of an art than a science. By that I mean there are not firm formulas. All I can say is to develop as close a relationship to God as possible and that will position you to truly hear what He is trying to tell you. Extended periods of loneliness are the result of an unclear understanding of God’s specific will

It's good to see that you are back. Next time you need a break either physically or mentally, just let the people know. Okay?” I need a break more times than you may realize!! While a lot of my time and energies are spent on trying to help other singles, I have to trust that God will attend to my needs It is my intention that whatever I do is not directed at anyone, but is consistent with my understanding of God’s will for me at that time. Thus, whatever I do whenever I do, trust God to provide you what you need.

For you are correct Mr. Writer, everyone else has gone on about their business and they are too busy to notice what someone else is dealing with…but certainly not too busy to notice the games we play with one another; how attractive or unattractive someone else is; how fat or skinny an individual is; a bad hair day; if you are torn-up from the floor-up and someone’s mishaps or “stuff” but I challenge you with the question is that the way God truly intended for it to be?” At the risk of sounding sacrilegious, I think you are giving God too much credit here. Now before you try to drown me in holy waters, let me explain. God has given us free will and it is up to us to make the right choices. But, we also have the option of making the wrong choices. God’s intention is that we get along and that we inspire and support each other. Unfortunately, we sometimes choose to tear down instead of build up.

As we look back in bible times, God was always amongst the unbelievers, simply looking for opportunities to bless, to heal, to restore; to help; to feed the hungrier” Not sure what you mean here. In the bible times you refer to, are you referring to the old testament or the new testament or both? One could make an argument that God tried different “approaches” with mankind. The short version would be “the law” (old testament)” and “grace” (new testament). One thing that is consistent throughout both testaments is that God used people to bless, heal, restore, help and feed. I would suggest that is the larger point to be made.

So we have to be careful when we use the term being there for each other. Cause as women, we get "emotional". I know I do and I look deeper into things than I really need to. Just cause you are here to help does not mean you are to be my romantic interest.” You may be on to something with the comment about women being “emotional”. But, from your experience as a woman, do you feel your emotions help or hinder your spirituality? Do you think men’s emotions have the same spiritual impact?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

• Not bad Mr. Writer…I certainly accept and receive all that has been said in this week’s review; some things are great take a ways…some things left me “pondering” and wanting to debate or question but the main thing was definitely at the forefront of your responses and for that I am thankful and grateful.

• There was only one response which really left me wondering what to do or how to resolve this issue…Kevin said, “Extended periods of loneliness are the result of an unclear understanding of God’s specific will”; I assure you it is not my desire to remain out of the will of God but I don’t want to fall into the arms of the wrong company either out of desperation and I must say this is the first time I have had it explained to me this way…please explain in greater detail; I certainly need help on this one.

• Now comes that subject we “readers” have beat to life…Although, I do think you are entitled to take a rest (meaning in and with Christ) at your leisure…you also have a responsibility to your readers…but that is not my point at this time…I think your hiatus did you well because your writing was awesome before but now I think you finally connected with the readers… and of course this is just one person's take on things…

Anonymous said...

Just want to send you a note to let you k now I really enjoy reading your blogs; They are truly inspiring and uplifting to me and hopefully to someone else. Being the Christian single woman that I am, your blogs helps me alot to understand that God has to clear up alot "stuff" in me before moving me to a place I need to be with a man.
Thanx again-

Anonymous said...

Kevin,
I think my emotions help strengthen me spiritually. When I get that urge to let that coworker or parent know exactly how I feel,
I have to back up and remember who's I am.
When I really want to get busy and not work, emotionally I know that is not what's best for me. I may not want to feel that at that time.
But as a woman, those emotions help me to release the pressures of the world when I can cry and tell God about it. When I lay in my bed alone at night and wish that I had that special friend to hold me, I wrap those covers close and God let's me know it's alright cause He is there. It sounds strange to say it, but its true.
As for men, I don't know many men who will admit that they are emotional. You all have to be cool. Yes, I know they have feelings too. But a lot of them want to go for the gold. They play the game well and say all the right words. But underneath it all, they have the same agenda.

LBJ"s"