Tuesday, July 31, 2007

NOT Why I Write This Blog!

In our relationships with each other, we often express skepticism when someone tries to do something nice for us. We suspect they are up to something or they are trying to cover up some bad deed they’ve committed. “Oh these are lovely flowers. What sneaky act are you trying to make up for?” “You have what I need? Okay, what’s in it for you?” “Trust you, you say? Only as far as I can throw you!”

What are your thoughts about why I write this blog? Below are some of the reasons that do not apply to why I take the time to make entries onto this site:

  • I am running for President of the US and I need your votes
  • I am trying to win the coveted award of “Single Person Of The Year”
  • I am trying to sell my books.
  • I am trying to make a lot of money.
  • I am trying to keep from being bored.
  • I am trying to get in your business.

These are but a few of the reasons that have nothing to do with why I write in this blog. As you read this, take some time to ponder the relationships and interactions you have. Do you return a person’s gesture of kindness with doubt and suspicion? When a stranger in the grocery store says hello; do warning bells go off in your head or do you consider that it may be an opportunity to make a new friend? When someone asks about your welfare; do you give them a non-answer because you really don’t think they care? When someone shows a romantic interest in you; do you automatically assume that what they are looking for is just sex?

As best we can, let’s learn to trust God more and allow His spirit of discernment to guide us in how we react to what people say and do to us. Because of our negative view of relationships or due to how we have been hurt or abused in the past, we may have missed out on prospective romantic or platonic relationships that God was trying to send our way. This does not mean we force romance or friendships on every person that comes along. Rather, we should do a better job of hearing what God is saying about that person who is all up in our face. You never know; the next person you run into may have a blog he or she would like to share with you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At one time I questioned why take the time to write a blog. But then knowing the person that you are, you are a helper. If you can help anyone with your words of encouragement, you will.
You have a way with words that make a person think. If I did not already have in mind to improve myself, yours words make me want to do better. With life, my christian walk and my everyday walk.
I agree, if we learn to trust God more and let Him guide us we will change. But we really have to be ready to let Him Guide us. Not is words but in action too.
Great writings today.
LBJ"s"

Anonymous said...

POINT! “My people parish for the lack of knowledge”, when I read this in the bible I knew there would be those like yourself that would be (teachers and preachers of the word) that would bring this knowledge. My thoughts on why you do what you do (the blog) is because you would never want to see anyone parish because of ignorance therefore you share your knowledge (revelation) and that is the way I read and receive the “blog”. “How can they hear without a preacher”?

My intention is not to hurt anyone so I hope that what I have to write does not offend anyone. I think people judge people unfairly when they do have the desire to get to know someone beyond an email, a blog or a casual hello and to be honest I think things are working as God designed...we first connect with each other through the mind not physical. If we are honest the physical desires are there, yes but are we really in His will? ; are we hindering our own blessing by deciding what we want instead of asking God? We have to get over thinking everything is about us and put God first and if someone is drawn “to you through whatever situation, accept it as a compliment, take it at face value and stop thinking everything is about you”. I think we all would be more offended if no found us attractive or at least I would so I am humbled when someone finds me attractive rather through a simple hello, the blog, an email, and /or a glimpse of a picture, etc. We need to get over ourselves and stop thinking everyone has a motive for wanting to connect with us. We as Christians should be like magnets. I firmly believe nothing is by accident when you are “walking in the will of God”.

Yes, Kevin I agree it is all about trusting God; this journey has never really been about us.

Therefore when we let go and truly allow God to be the head of our lives, the focus of our lives and the reason for living, it is then and only then are we able to live a bless life. When we allow God to be our view then our view of people is through the eyes of God instead of our own selfishness.