Thursday, September 14, 2006

Eating Out Alone

One of the small pleasures I enjoy on occasion is eating out at a restaurant by myself. I usually take a book with me and I dive into it as I devour some tasty choices from the menu. Every once in awhile I will catch other patrons (who are not by themselves) looking at me as if to figure out what my story is. I can only imagine what they are thinking. But, that is really not my concern, because I am getting caught up in the developing plot of my book.

I also enjoy going out to eat with others, particularly a woman I find interesting. But, I enjoy eating out alone as much. What I miss out on in conversations, I more than make up in seeing if the guy gets the girl or the detective solves the murder case or the main character learns a key life lesson before it is too late.

So, if you see me or someone else sitting in a restaurant alone with a book, don't feel sorry for me. Just ask if I have a good book.

No comments: