Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Seriously! I Do Care For You!

Is it just me or do we tend to not take each other seriously when we say that we care?

The other day, I saw a friend who was sick and who I have not seen in a long time. I told her how glad I was to see her and that I was worried about her. But somehow, I really do not think she fully grasped how deeply I am concerned for her. Apparently, my words were inadequate to convey the true depth of my platonic affection.

Why do we not take each other seriously when it comes to expressions of care? My guess is that most of the time when we ask, "How are you doing?", it is done more out of polite habit than from a deep reservoir of concern. Are we Christian singles not genuine enough in the love that we should be sharing with each other? If not, maybe people are so used to us just talking about loving each other, but not really expressing true love.

For me, I have to do a better job of letting people I care about know that I really do care about them. Some suggestions for me to achieve this are:

  • Tell people how much I care for them whenever the opportunity presents itself.
  • Demonstate my concern through random acts of kindness as often as possible.
  • Listen more and talk less when people are talking about their challenges.
  • Resist the urge to ONLY help people when it is convenient.
  • Let people see me expressing concern for others so they will be more apt to believe me when I say that I care for them.
  • Practice expressing genuine love for those people who act "unlovable" to me.

These are but a few of many possible suggestions I will try to put into action everyday. This world is so full of hatred and meaness, that I hope to be part of a new genuine love revolution. Lord knows we all could use some more true affection in our lives.

I pray that you will also become more committed to show genuine concern to others.

Let's get out there and love somebody!!

No comments: