Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Your Choice?

So why do I think the statement "I choose to be alone" is misguided? I think it is misguided because it reflects your vantage point and ignores my situation. In our relationships and interactions with each other, we often look at things through our own eyes. But the true nature of a healthy relationship is to adopt the other person's perspective. As irrational as a person's behavior may seem to us, there was a process that led that person to view their behavior as appropriate given the factors they processed. In short, what they did made sense to them.

What does that have to do with the subject for today? We all are a combination of fears, hopes, vulnerabilities, dreams, emotional sore spots, strengths and weaknesses. These things affect us in varying degrees throughout our lives. The interplay of these characteristics makes us process situations in a manner that "MAKES SENSE" in light of what is going on inside of us. So sometimes, we miss signals or we misinterpret actions or we don't respond like others think we should. So in essence, we CHOOSE the action, but not necessarily the outcome.

Do I choose to be alone? No, that is an outcome of my actions that I may not have properly anticipated. Do I choose my behavior? Most certainly. Hopefully, as I continue to mature, I will get better at matching my behavior and decisions with my desired outcomes. But being human, I sometimes miss the mark or make miscalculations.

For Christian singles, we have the guidance of the Holy Spirit to help us better understand the connection between the choices we make and the outcomes that flow from them. Also as Christian singles, that same Holy Spirit can help guide us in guiding others in properly matching their decisions with results.

Now in the larger scheme of things, relying on the Holy Spirt; that really makes sense!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems as though I pray for others more than they pray for me…or at least that is how I feel at times. Then I think back to that word “choices”, and know that so many times I have chosen to be alone and this is the results of my choices…now I am trying to reverse my choice to be alone and I have no ideal how to make it happen. Wow, I just realize that is the problem “I” try to make it happen instead of allowing God to make it happen. I spend a lot of time alone and now I am learning to use this time more wisely. This time has force me to take inventory of my Christian walk and I have find out that I have a lot of maturing in Christ to do; and that the emptiness I feel is for God not necessary that mate. I have to believe that God is my all and all, and these feelings I am feeling, this desire I have to have a help meet is working as designed…that God does not want man to be alone.

I need to focus on the right thing, and pray for others who desire the same as I and through praying and loving others my blessings is on the way…My father states, Ask and it shall be given; knock and the door shall be open…it is all in His time, not mine!
Of course, I have my struggles and fight with insecurities at times (not pretty enough, not young enough, not educated enough, not the right color, etc.)…I try to stay on track by holding on to the promises of God…

So, Anyone who know a word of prayer please pray for me that I will allow God to order my steps…and what I have given Him I will allow him to keep it and stop being an Indian-giver.

Anonymous said...

Kevin,
I feel we have many opportunities to not be alone. I feel that God has put my mate right there for me and over looked him because I was too busy looking at someone else.
I believe in second and third chances. So I am alone by choice until I feel that the one that is coming to me is the right one.
How will I know its right? The Holy Spirit will guide me.
He will come to me and not me to him.
He will know what I like without me having to tell him.
I will know it and so will he.
So choice has a lot to do with our present situation. We made a choice not to get into a particular relationship.
We made a choice to step out into that relationship and it didn't make it.
We do have a choice.
You can either settle or wait.
The choice is yours.