Friday, September 15, 2006

Losing A Close Friend

I was just informed that a close friend of mine has just passed away. I have many thoughts running through my mind and I know that I will need time to fully process this.

Oddly enough, the first thought that comes to mind is to remind myself that her death is not about me. The reason for this thought is that as I reflect on the loss of my friend, I immediately began pondering what I will miss about her and the things I did not get to say to and do with her. But how selfish can I be? It is not about me. She was the one who spent the last three months in and out of the hospital. It was she who had to deal with the fact that her health took a turn for the worse over the Christmas holidays and she was kept from spending quality time with her family. She was the one who already lost a husband and now leaves behind children and many friends who cared very deeply for her.

How can I make her death about me?

Lord receive my friend and give her sweet rest from all of the pain and discomforts of this world. She worked tirelessly for others and even to death, she suffered in silence. Forgive me for dishonoring her memory by thinking about my loss and help me to better treasure the relationships I still have left to enjoy.

No comments: