Wednesday, September 06, 2006

My Choice

People have said that I am alone because I choose to be alone. What in the world does that mean? That statement assumes two things:

  • I have alternatives to select from.
  • I am aware of those alternatives.

I guess a third assumption would be that I chose the option to be alone over the option to not be alone. But do we really CHOOSE to be alone?


For me, it is not always apparent what the so-called alternatives are that are available to me. Is that my fault? I should not be held responsible for not being able to read people's minds or properly interpret their signals. Bottom line, if you are interested in me, don't assume that your message is coming along across very clearly. Because of the combination of my personality traits, my experiences and my current outlook on life, what is OBVIOUS to you, may not be obvious to me.


When people say I choose to be alone, I think what they mean to say is that I am too picky. By being too picky, I think they mean that I have potential mates or partners that would make me happy, but I am focussed on the wrong things. My response to that is two-fold:

  1. People have tried to tell me before who would be perfect for me and they were terribly wrong.
  2. I have been in enough relationships to have a clue or hint of what would make me happy.

So what others may call picky, I call being smart enough to not waste somebody's time who is not going to make me happy.

In my next post, I will discuss a viable alternative statement to "You CHOOSE to be alone."

No comments: