Thursday, March 29, 2007

God Is, So What?

Guilty! Upon hearing this, we say, “Guilty of what? What crime have we committed?” The answer is, “You are guilty of not ACTING like God exists.” We say, “That’s ridiculous. Of course God exists. Only a fool would try to argue against that fact.

God is, so why, so when, so who? God is, so what? Should the fact that He is real lead us to feel indifferent or should we feel excited? Our choices are either to shrug our shoulders as if we could not care less or raise our hands in a gesture of sincere praise. We know what the choice should be when everyone is looking. But what about when we are alone?

What a pity that sometimes we live a boring uneventful life that seems to affirm that maybe God is no longer with us.

  • That situation that we could not find our way out of, but somehow a way was made out of “no way”. Did God exist then? If He did, then so what? When it comes to acknowledging God’s rescuing power, we say “Let bygones be bygones.”
  • That person, who would have turned our lives upside down, but didn’t because of God’s protection. Was He real then? If so, then so what? Wasn’t God just doing what He was supposed to do?
  • That month whose days extended way past our money, but somehow the bills were paid and food was purchased and the lights remained on. So what if God was the one we called on? He should not have promised to always be with us if He did not want us to take Him at His word.
  • Remember that period of loneliness or depression or isolation or even shame? Tell the truth; didn’t we think that things would never improve? But somehow, some way, the Lord made a way. So what if God rebuked the enemy? We think we are now smart enough or strong enough or tough enough to handle things on our own without any divine help.

As we reflect on how we have not always been Godly in our dealings with each other and how we have allowed things other than God’s will to influence us, we recognize that we indeed are GUILTY. Good thing the Lord knows our hearts, because our actions imply that the fact He exists is no big deal. Who can wash away our sins and wipe our slates clean? Only God can, but only if we acknowledge that He lives. It is kind of ironic that the God whose existence we regarded with a “so what” attitude is the very same God that can help us recover from our self-destructive nonchalant outlook.

Thank God that even as guilty as we are, we have blessed opportunities to show the world through our behaviors and choices that God is worth more than an indifferent attitude of “so what”.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Writer,

As the song goes,” it’s me; it’s me; it’s me Oh Lord standing in the need of prayer”. I am guilty as charge for not allowing God to be. When my life is uneventful, and I am alone is an opportunity for God to be…

God is able to do all things exceeding and above anything I can imagine or hope for therefore I must put my hope in the Hope Maker. God is real so therefore I should strive to be different and be excited that he lives in me. With all, this I know God is but because I struggle with periods of loneliness, depression and isolation does that mean I doubt God is?

Because God has not yet answer my prayers in many areas of my life and I get weary at times does that mean God is not? It is I Oh Lord that stands in the need of prayer because I wonder at times if God has forgotten me an has truly forgiven me of my past even though he promises when I come to him with a "pure heart"; with my crime of sin He will cast it in the sea of forgetfulness and remember no more. Certainly I believe God is…but God help me with my unbelief.