Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Not So Foolish Hearts

Foolish heart, hear me calling, Stop before you start falling. Foolish heart, heed my warning, You've been wrong before, Don't be wrong anymore.”

Those are some of the words to the song, “Foolish Hearts” by Steve Perry. Here the singer is trying to warn his heart not to get carried away with falling in love and exposing itself to being hurt again. Sound familiar?

Well, for me, that warning is something I have to constantly remind myself of. Lord knows I need another episode of broken heart blues like I need a hole in the head. But as a Christian single, am I allowing my fear of being emotionally crushed to keep me away from a blessing that God has sent me?

In an earlier post, I posed the question, “What is the BEST that can happen?” when it comes to our platonic or romantic relationships. I suggested as an answer that our trust in God would help us to expect the BEST and not fear the worst in our interactions with each other. But, what is it that we normally do? To avoid being hurt again, we don’t open our hearts to a potential relationship. Our faltering faith in God leads us to operate under the handicapping notion of it is better to be safe than sorry.

But is this what God wants us to do? It may be surprising to know that God wants us to take that phone call or answer that email or make that phone call or “make that move”. He is encouraging us to return that smile or meet that glance or extend a greeting or to accept that invitation. He made us to love and He made sure that desire was strong enough to drive us into each other’s physical and emotional embrace. Let’s assume that God knew what He was doing when He made us this way. Being safe or cautious is for wimpy Christians. God will take care of us so we can afford to be bold.

God is calling us to fall in love again. We cannot deny that when we are in love that our head is held high, our outlook on life is bright, our attitude is upbeat and our spirits are uplifted. Aren’t these good things? Maybe our foolish hearts are trying to tell us something and maybe we are the fools and not our hearts.

My prayer today for you is that you will run TO love instead of away FROM it. May God grant you the wisdom to follow your “foolish” heart so that you can truly experience the best that can happen in your romantic and platonic relationships. May this time in your life be the season that you fall in love.

Tomorrow’s Post - Don’t Stop There!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear you talking my friend.
I opened my heart and loved one that loves another,so I settle to just be that good friend. Even though I want more I can only accept what they are willing to give.
That hurts, so is this what God wants for me?