Wednesday, March 21, 2007

If You Want Me…

At some point in our lives, each of us wants to be wanted. Yeah, we go through our moments when we don’t feel like being bothered with all the good and bad that comes with falling in love. At times, it can seem like more trouble than it’s worth. Particularly when those we love don’t love us; why won’t they just cooperate? And then those who love us are the same persons we are not interested in. We wish that life and love would be as simple as “I love you and you love me, that’s all there is to it.

Wouldn’t it be nice to have an open and honest conversation with someone that we want to love us? We could give them some inside information on what they need to do to win our hearts. Put a dash of this, two sprinkles of that and don’t forget a pinch of that special thing and voila, you have given them your secret recipe for love. Now that wasn’t too difficult was it?

If you want me is how we would love to start a dialog with someone we want to love. But noooooo, that is not how things go. The one you want to listen is the very one who seems like he or she could not care less. Who has the problem, them or you?

Spiritually speaking, is there some key knowledge that we are missing? Let’s review the “facts”. God created us with the desire to love. And to make sure that we would not permanently give up on it, He made that desire very strong. There were times when we tried to run from it, ignore it, shun it or act like it was no big deal. But all we ended up doing was unsuccessfully fooling ourselves. All of us have either already been or will be cursed with the “Love: I’ve got it bad” disease.

With those “facts”, what is a poor romantic soul to do? One thing that will help is if we learn to keep the main thing THE MAIN thing. What are our priorities and are they aligned with God’s will? If we can just figure out how to truly keep God at the forefront of our thoughts and actions, He will help us have meaningful and productive conversations with the right people about falling in love. What a pleasant thought! Instead of another period of loneliness and uncertainty, we can finally have that interaction with that special someone where we provide clues that start off with the phrase, “If you want me…”.


Tomorrow’s Post: If I Want You...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Writer,

Very interesting article...Without really being conscious of my actions I had been spinning my wheels trying to get that special someone to actually just “want to know me” and I was not really sure where I wanted our relationship to go I just knew He was a keeper…but I WAS so wowed by this person to the point that I actually lost focus on the “MAIN THING” – then I was reminded by the Holy Spirit of how powerful prayers is and God’s promise came to my mind ”seek first the Kingdom of Heaven and His righteous and all things will be added” and by no means do I get it right all the time and have all the right answers but I find God has to be first, He has to be that “MAIN THING”.

The realization is I may never get the one I want but the reassurance of knowing my father (Christ) will be there to dry my weeping eyes; to give me hope when I feel hopeless; to catch me when I fall; comfort me when I am lonely will have to be enough for now. For I know God has my best interest at heart!

Anonymous said...

I believe have finally got a grip on this thing. I need to focus not on my being single and finding that love of my life.
The true love of my life is God.
My main purpose on this earth is to serve and do His will. Not mine.
The more I focus on the earthly things like love, marriage, having that special person in my life, the further I get away from Him and what is really important.
The more I maintain my focus on Him and His work all that other stuff will fall into place. Maybe not on my time scale or the way I want it, but in His own time.
I am discovering that this is teaching me patience and it is showing me that He knows what and who is best for me. Because I sure don't.
In my heart, I say I am in love with that man but he doesn't love me the same way. And I make it a point to do anything in my human power to show that love and pray for it in return. This is where I made my mistake. I chose this love. God did not. When I did this, I got off track. My focus was on the love I felt, not what God's plan was.
I now understand that my role was not the role of a would be mate, but a person to help someone in need, to be that friend. My role is now done.

The goal is
1. To stay focused on Him.
2. Don't get side tracked.
3. Continue to prepare and get myself ready for the blessing that is on the way.
4. And most of all stop trying to control something that I have no power over.
It's not always about me.

Right now this sounds all good and it's how I feel for the moment.
I am quite sure that this human body will get weak and still long for that love and the need to have that special person in my life. I pray for continued strength and the courage to move on. God made me and knows what I need better than I do. So I will try to look at it from His side and stop shutting the door and accept what is knocking at my door.

Peace