Saturday, March 24, 2007

If I Want You

How often do we treat love as a nice theory but not something to be taken seriously in "real" life? Often it seems we assume that we have this love thing all figured out and it is the other person who still does not have a clue. This is akin to the notion that “I am okay; it is the world that is screwed up.” Who died and left you king or queen of the love village?

Yes, Jesus died for you, but don’t forget that He died for others also. Yes, He saved you, but He also did the same for everyone else. Selfishly, I think we sometimes try to hoard Jesus for ourselves and we refuse to share Him. We forget that He is Lord of all, not just us.

What happens if I want you? Will you treat me as another child of God or will you abuse my affection? You may pray that God guide your thoughts and actions, but when it comes to romantic endeavors, you figure that God is not behind the motivations behind someone who has professed his or her love for you. Whoa! Take a chill pill. It is not all about you. Rather, the risks and benefits of falling in love is truly a shared endeavor.

So what if I want you? The first question you should answer is “For me, what is THE MAIN thing?” If your “main thing” is truly in line with God’s purpose, then you can trust that He has your back and He will bless you beyond your expectations. Maybe the one who has approached you is part of the blessing package that God is trying to deliver.

When you realize that someone wants you, does that help or hinder your relationship with God? Sadly, we often give God a swift kick in the pants when it comes to romance when in fact we should be embracing Him and not so quickly hugging all over our romantic prospect. “Lord, I love you, but not as much as I love the possibility of falling in love.” Why do we use the fact that someone shows an interest in us as an excuse to express less interest in God?

God created us to relate and interact with each other. Some people we will love as romantic partners and others we will love as just a friend. But, let’s not forget that love is the common denominator in both situations. Who wants a God that walks around with eggs on His face because we abuse our desire for love? We disrespect God by the way we look at love and the manner in which we view those who declare “I want you”. Kind of ironic isn’t it how we exhibit more hateful traits when in fact God is giving us the opportunity to display more aspects of Godly love?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Writer,

You are late in your posting, first of all tomorrow would have been Thursday (smile), you shouldn’t leave us hanging like that.

This post made me go hmmm because of the spin it had on it at the end. I could not agree with you more about God being in everything we as Christian do, think, or ask, or imagine.

As for me I realize I want God first and everything else will fall into place, I give up on my ability for I am helpless and cannot balance His love and wanting to be loved. God is LOVE and Love is the hinges of our lives and it is the door to all other commandments. If we have not loved then we have not done anything good at all. How do we learn to love unconditionally as Christ loves us?

This is just a thought of growth for me I want to share. The more I read the blog the more I experience hunger pains to live in Christ. I believe for there is a reason I have not been blessed with that soul-mate or best friend I have been wanting and long for because God has to be able to trust me with his own and He knows there are still areas in my life I think I can handle myself and I have not totally surrendered to Him. It is so hard to share with anyone that you struggle with balancing your personal life and your Christian life when in fact they are one of the same, why is it I keep trying to separate them?

Anonymous said...

I must agree with you on this one.
As I said in an earlier response, if I keep my "main" thing on the "main" thing all else will be in line.
I will not look at that person as a prospective mate or even a friend. Just enjoy that person for who they are. And stay focused on my purpose.
When someone shows an interest, they key is to stay focused on Him.
That is tough when a relationship is new and you are learning each other. But the main thing is what is He telling you and where does He stand in that relationship.
Thank you again for your knowledge.