Friday, March 30, 2007

When God Was

Relationships are dynamic and fluid. For example, as we mature, our interactions with our parent(s) evolve from one of dependency to one of (hopefully) peaceful co-existence. Another example is the transformations from nervous first kiss to increasing comfort with intimacy that romantic partners experience.

Just as our human relationships undergo change, the same is true of our relationship with God. Whether we want to admit it or not, we were not always as familiar with Him as we claim to be now. There was a time when God was just a concept that we had not yet made real. While our mouths spoke the words that God was the head of our lives, the reality behind our actions implied that He was just a part of our lives, but not THE MAIN part. Thankfully for many of us, that was then and this is now. Before we reached our current level of spiritual maturity, God WAS.

But now, things are different. Because of how He brought us through the rough times, we cannot help but thank Him. As we think about His awesome power and His wondrous works, we would be crazy not to praise Him. Remember that broken heart that almost did you in? That was God who uplifted you. Remember that person who joyously worked your last nerve? That was God who strengthened you. Remember that temptation you found hard to resist? That was God who delivered you. Remembered that depression and loneliness that threatened to overwhelm you? That was God who befriended you. Thank God that He no longer is a “was” but He is very real indeed.

Regardless of how long you have been a Christian single, you know God better today than you did yesterday. He has done too much and you have seen His hands working in your life in too many ways for you to doubt His existence. Yes, God is real because He is real to you. Yes, God is real because He guides your thoughts. Yes God is real because He keeps you from doing those things you used to do. Yes, Yes and Yes, God is real!

As God has blessed us, our divine charge is to affirm His existence through our actions by ministering to others. For them, God was, but we have the blessed opportunity to transform their thoughts into becoming more familiar with a God who IS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Writer,

Great parables and examples of relationship transformation…

I realize as a child of God I should eventually mature in Christ and in order to do this I must yield my life to his will.

For I know God was there before I ever came to be and God has not changed yet I struggle with my weakness to change. God was there when the doctors thought they had lost me…God was there long before any disease came to be….God was standing long before I learn to stand on his word. God was there to dry our tears and to heal our broken hearted. God was there to catch us before we fall…God was there to encourage us when we thought we would never make it…
God is willing to meet me at any point in my life but I must strive to not meet him at the same point in my life…I must grow past the point of thinking He exist to knowing He exist. God was, so I must live as though God is, and acknowledge his existence by living as though He lives. God is real and I must surrender completely to Him and abide always in the Holy Spirit so he can be real in me.

Anonymous said...

I have only one comment from your 2 writings, that God is more real today than He was on yesterday or even last month. There are some things that are going on in my life that I wish He would truly take care of and I not have to deal with them anyone. But it is a learning experience and a strengthening process for me. You have to go through in order to come out and be a living testimony.
Keep sharing the word because God "is" real.