Saturday, November 03, 2007

Boogie Wonderland!

Okay, I admit it! I was watching the animated movie, "Happy Feet" on Friday night. If I had to summarize what that movie was about: A penguin who lacks a good singing voice must use his only other talent to find true love. That talent turns out to "happy" or dancing feet.

But what really caught my attention was the inclusion of the song, "Boogie Wonderland" originally written and performed by Earth, Wind & Fire in the 80's. (Y'all don't know nothing about that, but that's another story!!)

One line in that song is: All the need to love can't be gone. All the need to love can't be wrong.

As Christian singles, isn't that our hope? Like the penguin in "Happy Feet", we are looking for love, but sometimes we feel we are not properly equipped to accomplish that task. Maybe I'm not cute or attractive enough. Maybe I'm too fat or too skinny. Maybe I'm not smart enough or maybe I'm too intelligent. Maybe I feel I don't know what to say around prospective romantic partners. Maybe I'm too young or old. Maybe I should have gone to college or maybe I should have a different job.

Surely the need to love and be loved that I have is not gone. Surely the need to love that I feel is not wrong!!

There are no quick and easy answers to the questions we throw at ourselves. To be honest, it is possible that we are some of the things we asked about in the above paragraph. Thank God that there is a but! I may be too fat or too skinny or too young or too old or whatever, but God has also allowed me to be ENOUGH for someone. Like the penguin in the movie, sometimes we have to remove ourselves (or be removed) from our comfort zone to find our true place in this life.

If that is the path that we must take, I strongly encourage you to take God along with you. I suppose you could find your own way eventually. Sometimes people do experience blind luck. But I refuse to bet my romantic prospects on dumb luck. Rather, I am going to ask God to conduct me to my personal version of Boogie Wonderland.


Hey, if a penguin who can't sing can find true love, why not me?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great movie "Happy Feet" and as for me and my love I am going to leave it totally up to God. All my luck is in the Lord.

We are all guilty of telling God what we want (a mate that is this old and this young; has this color hair, long hair, short hair; a mate this tall, this short; a mate with this level of education, etc,...) it is a wonder that He hears us at all but He is God and His thoughts are greater than our thoughts; He is not a selfish God therefore He gives us the desires of our heart..Now that is LOVE).

So I agree, Love? Lord, Why not me?