Thursday, November 22, 2007

L-Tryptophan Attack!

You know that sleepy feeling you get after eating a big meal like most of us enjoy at Thanksgiving? Forget about washing those dishes! Maybe I won’t catch the rest of the game! Okay, it’s time for the relatives to leave so I can take a nap!

You have just been attacked by L-Tryptophan! Don’t worry, no need to call Homeland Security. Don’t go bugging your doctor! Leave those folks at the emergency room alone! L-Tryptophan is an amino acid that induces a sense of sleepiness after we eat. If we are not careful, we could sleep away a significant portion of our holiday.

Is there a spiritual complement to L-Tryptophan? I suggest that when we gorge ourselves on depression or anxieties, we fall into a pit of lethargy and laziness. Since I don’t have a lover or romantic partner; I am not going to read my Bible today. Because I feel so alone; I am not going to say my prayers this morning. Due to my gluttony on self-pity; I am going to temporarily not be a Christian single today!

All of us are susceptible to being attacked by “spiritual L-Tryptophan”. Especially during the holidays, we may have the urge to just go through the motions but not really establishing or building on our relationships. “Lord, just let me get through New Year’s Eve and I will start the new year as a spiritual Christian single again!”

But a lot can happen between now and December 31st. New friendships can be formed. A romantic partner may be discovered. Family members can be reunited. Indeed, a lot can happen, but a lot can also be missed.

Before you pick up that next piece of loneliness stuffed with depression; be on your guard against the L-Tryptophan Attack!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great parable, we certainly do have food overloads during the holidays and then we become too tired to actually enjoy the food and family...but I think the older I get the more I value those family relationships even more. Some relationships I have simply given up on and despite how many may feel about this contentment...I strive to be content for the moment and always, always remember the reason for the season.

Relationships are like seasons and perhaps mine has passed …right now I just hope to enjoy the moment.

Anonymous said...

The holidays are meant for families and friends to get together and spend time together. If the family is not there then we have our friends to share with.
I have had several times that I wanted that pity party but I thought why? You have so much to be thankful for. Just plain ole healthy living is good enough.
So I look forward to visiting friends and eating good "home cooked" meals. Even if it is a store bought pie ;)
I hope that you had a great thanksgiving and you got in touch with the family.
LBJ"s"