Thursday, November 08, 2007

Changing Seasons

It seemed like not too long ago, we were sweating out a torturous Indian summer with temperatures in the 90’s. But now, the season has changed. Fall is definitely in the air and winter is fast approaching. Some places have already had snow and others have had frost warnings. And is it me or does Christmas seem to come sooner each year?

The changing weather that accompanies each season is predictable. For the most part, summers are hot, spring is full of new blooms, fall is for crisp afternoon temperatures (and football!!) and winter is for cold. We know what to expect based on the season we are in.

Unfortunately, the particular season of our Christian singleness is not as clear. Is true love around the corner? Will I meet my soul mate? Is this my season to hope or to accept that some dreams do not come true?

No one definitively answer these questions for ourselves. Sure those who want to sell a lot of books or cd’s or sellout convention halls will tickle our ears with sayings like “What God has for me is for me”. But is that really the truth of our respective situations? Maybe the one that got away was the last “One” for me. Maybe what I am today is what I will always be. Maybe the happy ending I am looking for is not the happy ending I will come to appreciate.

This post is really about questions and not answers. Some of you may be tempted to toss a few clichés and pseudo spiritual sayings. Go ahead if you must. But, tonight I am just going to pose the questions. I will leave it to you to answer as you see fit.

What season are you in the midst of your singleness?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What season are you in the midst of your singleness?

I feel I am able to answer this quetion above...my single season is somewhat like the season which is coming upon us...a little chilly but tis the season to be jolly so I am not going to dwell on my season right now, because before we know it; it is spring again.

Marsha