Friday, November 23, 2007

Shattered Glass

I was watching a television show and that particular episode’s topic was interesting. It started with one of the friends bringing his new girlfriend to a gathering where his other friends hung out. Later on, when he asked his friends what they thought of his new romantic partner, they were initially reluctant to tell him. They did not want him to lose the luster of new romance that comes with the early stages of dating someone. Eventually they told him that she was okay, but that she talked too much. At that point, you could hear glass shattering as the new boyfriend began to recognize this annoying habit the other friends noticed about his new love interest. From that point on, every time he was with his girlfriend, he could not help but see how she indeed did talk too much.

Have you ever had the glass shattered in any of your relationships, either platonic or romantic? Somewhere down the road you recognize that he doesn’t wash his hands after using the restroom or she always talks about her ex-boyfriends. Or she plays the music in the car too loud or he always chews with his mouth open. Bad habits. We all have them and yes, some are worse than others. When we first start that new friendship or romantic relationship, we often don’t notice those bad habits that will later get on our nerves.

But then, the glass shatters and it seems like the bad habit keeps growing until it dominates your thoughts about the new person in your life.

First of all, we have to remember that the glass shattered for God in His dealings with us. He wants so much more for ourselves than we can envision, but our bad habits born out of fear and ego keeps us from reaching our potential. But somehow, God doesn’t allow the sound of shattering glass to keep Him from having a relationship with us. Thank God that He not only loves us for what we are now, but also for what we can become. That is the redeeming nature of Godly love.

Second, we Christian singles need to stop being so nit-picky in our relationships with each other. We all have the capacity to change bad habits into good ones and we all can grow in positive ways. Let’s make a genuine effort to help each other become more good and even less annoying. Let’s be willing to change even as we ask others to do the same.

Third, let’s put God’s redeeming love into action with ourselves and with those with whom we interact. I’m not saying that you need to be bosom buddies with an ax murderer or a lover with drug dealer, but most of the bad habits we have fall way short of killing people or peddling illegal drugs. Believe in the power of God’s love to transform Mr. or Miss Okay to Mr. or Miss Almost Perfect. (Let's face it; none of us will ever be PERFECT.)

If God can still love and be with us after the glass shattered for Him, surely we can do the same with each other.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I feel if we really love the Lord then we would try twice as hard to overlook the imperfection of those we say we care about (we cannot do it without God).

At times, I feel I talk too much or should I say I talk when I shouldn’t…it is indeed something I have to stay on my knees about. I am learning it is not always necessary to speak your mind…even more importantly your heart…especially if it will harm someone else or cause as you say a “glass shattered” moment for someone else.

Bad habits are changed by adopting good ones; hate is changed by love but as you stated it is only the grace of God that any anyone or anything is able to change…we cannot do it ourselves. I think we should ask God about our issues before going to man because I am not sure friends always have my best interest at heart but I know God does.

Anonymous said...

Kevin,
I meet this guy and I believe he is the cats meow. He's saved, he's not a fanatic but he keeps God first and loves to go to church and is active, has a job, his own place, the chemistry is there and he looks good too.
Okay God, what's the catch? He is just too good. When does the other person come out?
We are always watching because we know the other shoe is going to come off.
He starts to complains all the time. Did you hear that glass crack? Now he is never satisfied, he always has to be or have something better or bigger. Oops there goes that glass. If I have a headache, he has a migrane. It was a year before all of this came to be. That glass was all over the place.
I know we are all not perfect. I know I am not. I get on my own nerves at times so I know I can rack someone else's nerves.
But when you have been alone for a good length of time, You get set in your ways. You clean when you get the urge to clean. You cook when you want to cook. On your off days if you don't want to get dressed you don't have to.
I pray that God will work on me in my ways. I am enjoying this life, but one day I would like a companion to share it with before I leave this earth. I am not talking about meeting him and leaving the next day either.
I know without a shadow of doubt that God loves me and He is always in my corner regardless of my short comings.
When I meet that man and can love him regardless of how many times he farts during a movie or when he gets up in the morning and he still looks good to me in spite of morning breath, then I know that I have that real thing and the glass is swept up and thrown out with the trash. So I am praying that God will keep me and prepare me with my issues so I don't have to watch out for that breaking glass.

Anonymous said...

I think we are all shattered glass being held together by the grace of God.